Can I cycle dry rock with established bio balls?

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 5 gallon shallow tank and am going to upgrade to one of the new UNS marine 9g peninsula tanks. Can't wait, they are sick!

Question: I have a new scape glued up for the 9g (dry marco rock). I put it in a 5 gallon bucket with about 2.5g of waste water from my auto water change reservoir and about 1.5g of fresh saltwater (pump and heater too of course). I have 6 bio balls from my LFS sump, which is a very old system, and just a couple drops of Microbacter 7 in the bucket with the new rock. Is that enough to cycle it? Should I drop a shrimp in there or some drops of phystofeast to spike the ammonia?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 5 gallon shallow tank and am going to upgrade to one of the new UNS marine 9g peninsula tanks. Can't wait, they are sick!

Question: I have a new scape glued up for the 9g (dry marco rock). I put it in a 5 gallon bucket with about 2.5g of waste water from my auto water change reservoir and about 1.5g of fresh saltwater (pump and heater too of course). I have 6 bio balls from my LFS sump, which is a very old system, and just a couple drops of Microbacter 7 in the bucket with the new rock. Is that enough to cycle it? Should I drop a shrimp in there or some drops of phystofeast to spike the ammonia?

The Bio-balls will work. Their small size and limited surface area may add a few days to your cycle. If you have a rock from your existing tank, going from 5g to 9g should be a non-issue. A chunk of rock from the existing tank will skip-cycle the new one no problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back