Cycling dry rock

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Here's my set up - 40 gallon breeder bare bottom with aio drop in kit which is holding a filter sock, heater, bio bricks, dragon breath algae - sps dominant tank with 2 ai prime 16hd on the ends and radion xr 15 g4 in the middle. I wanted to change the rocks in the tank to a sculpture that I purchased but didn't want to mess up the biological filtration in the tank. I was told by my LFS told me that when I do my water change today, take 5 gallons of the 10 gallons I take out and fill up the 5 gallon tank On the bottom with it, dose nitrifying bacteria, drop in a circulation pump and wait.

Did I do this right even though part of the rock is out of the water?

IMG_6888.jpeg IMG_6889.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey,

Here's my set up - 40 gallon breeder bare bottom with aio drop in kit which is holding a filter sock, heater, bio bricks, dragon breath algae - sps dominant tank with 2 ai prime 16hd on the ends and radion xr 15 g4 in the middle. I wanted to change the rocks in the tank to a sculpture that I purchased but didn't want to mess up the biological filtration in the tank. I was told by my LFS told me that when I do my water change today, take 5 gallons of the 10 gallons I take out and fill up the 5 gallon tank On the bottom with it, dose nitrifying bacteria, drop in a circulation pump and wait.

Did I do this right even though part of the rock is out of the water?

IMG_6888.jpeg IMG_6889.jpeg
You can cover it with paper towels or a towel or something to keep it wet. The dry part won't populate with bacteria plus if there's anything dead on the dry part it won't be converting to nitrate which will potentially cause an ammonia spike once you add it to the tank later.

If it's man-made rock, it shouldn't matter - it just won't shave the bacteria there.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cover it with paper towels or a towel or something to keep it wet. The dry part won't populate with bacteria plus if there's anything dead on the dry part it won't be converting to nitrate which will potentially cause an ammonia spike once you add it to the tank later.

If it's man-made rock, it shouldn't matter - it just won't shave the bacteria there.
Thanks! I'll do some wet paper towel with tank water. It's man made rock so I don't have to worry about ammonia.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back