IMG_20211202_151053.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 29

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium Nitrite can be toxic, as it needs to be converted to Nitrate.

Why not just use Potassium Nitrate or Calcium Nitrate which are much more aquarium friendly and easily accessable in most places.
If it is just a matter of introducing nitrite into the aquarium, would it not be fine so long as it is kept to a low enough concentration? I mean nitrite needs to be very, very high to be toxic to marine fish anyways, right? And the nitrate concentration one'd probably aim for would correspond to an even lower ppm of nitrite most likely far from being toxic to marine fish?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had nitrite pop up on a test kit I’d be concerned. No matter how high my nitrates get I never see ammonia or nitrite pop up. I wonder how long it would take for this stuff to turn into nitrate

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just a matter of introducing nitrite into the aquarium, would it not be fine so long as it is kept to a low enough concentration? I mean nitrite needs to be very, very high to be toxic to marine fish anyways, right? And the nitrate concentration one'd probably aim for would correspond to an even lower ppm of nitrite most likely far from being toxic to marine fish?
Yes, what you say is correct. Nitrite generally is not toxic to marine fish as it would be to freshwater fish.

There is a great article by Randy Holmes-Farley on the topic at http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php

However, I can't see the point of using Sodium Nitrite when there are cheap and safer alternatives available if you wish to add Nitrate to the tank.

I honestly dont see that the risk is worth it.

Regards
Graham.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, what you say is correct. Nitrite generally is not toxic to marine fish as it would be to freshwater fish.

There is a great article by Randy Holmes-Farley on the topic at http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php

However, I can't see the point of using Sodium Nitrite when there are cheap and safer alternatives available if you wish to add Nitrate to the tank.

I honestly dont see that the risk is worth it.

Regards
Graham.
Gotcha, no that's a fair enough point.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask the PHD. Lots of academics here think nitrite isn't harmful at all until it kills your fish. Only then is it harmful.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask the PHD. Lots of academics here think nitrite isn't harmful at all until it kills your fish. Only then is it harmful.
I am a PhD lol. I found Randy's article a long time ago, and have access to peer-reviewed articles to verify the data. And I found extra articles since then. They all verify the same thing.

Nitrite is indeed not a killer of marine fish until it gets to really, really high concentrations whereby if it does actually get there in our tanks, something is VERY wrong.

Though nitrite can be toxic to marine fish at concentrations below that (25ppm), at least upon prolonged exposure.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a PhD lol. I found Randy's article a long time ago, and have access to peer-reviewed articles to verify the data. And I found extra articles since then. They all verify the same thing.

Nitrite is indeed not a killer of marine fish until it gets to really, really high concentrations whereby if it does actually get there in our tanks, something is VERY wrong.

Though nitrite can be toxic to marine fish at concentrations below that (25ppm), at least upon prolonged exposure.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well show me a properly documented case where this has been proven.

I'm always eager to learn.

The overwhelming peer reviewed evidence points to the contrary.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not actually seen any evidence of this. Certainly would be interesting to read up on it. Can you link where you found this?
I
I have not actually seen any evidence of this. Certainly would be interesting to read up on it. Can you link where you found this?
I copy and pasted it from your post. Lol. I thought another professor would ask for proof. Not the guy who typed it. Lol

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I copy and pasted it from your post. Lol. I thought another professor would ask for proof. Not the guy who typed it. Lol

Well show me a properly documented case where this has been proven.

I'm always eager to learn.

The overwhelming peer reviewed evidence points to the contrary.
See above.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back