Can I drill my 150 tall to turn into fuge?

jlfalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 150 gallon tall acrylic aquarium made for 1/2" acrylic that I would like to drill and use as a refugium. The tank dimensions are 24" x 48" and 30" tall. The tank already has an overflow with a 1" and 3/4" bulkhead but I would like to remove the overflow section and use weld-on to cover the holes with 1/4" acrylic. I would then like to drill 2x 2.75-3.25" holes in one end (for either a 1.5" or 2" schedule 80 bulkhead) that would spill in to my sump. Additionally, I would like to drill 2x 2.75" holes in the front left of the aquarium for the plumbing to the aquarium overflow. I plan on running the tank at around the 24" mark so ~120 gallons. The sump with be a standard 125 gallon glass aquarium that I will run around the 60 gallon mark to accommodate all my overflow. This will be the filtration for my 475 gallon reef and 1-2x 80 gallon frag tanks. I plan on doing a trial of the Triton method so I need a large refugium. This may be a little overkill but it works with the size of my fish room.

My question: Does anyone see a problem with drilling the size and number of holes I need to make my refugium. Do you think this will weaken the tank too much and possible lead to tank failure.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be fine. Use proper bulkheads and don't put too much stress on the panels and you should be good.

OP
OP
J

jlfalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FBCD1CFA-D8E9-47DD-924C-FF32294600CC.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jlfalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well drilled my 3 holes and started filling the fuge. Worked great. I always get nervous drilling stuff. More so when I spent $400 on it... I’m glad it worked out though. I am going to have to start a full build thread soon to show the progression of my tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back