Can I Drill? Seapora 75

JakeH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to purchase a new tank at my LFS. They have a Seapora 75 I’m looking at for my next project. I am wondering if anyone has personally had one of these tanks drilled recently?

The tank has a tempered glass stamp on the bottom panel, but not the others. The larger tanks (the reef ready 90 for example) have the stamp on the front and rear panels as well as the bottom.

I called a site advertising this tank and was told that the 75 is safe to drill, but not the 90. What I am seeing with these stamps seems to support that.

I’ve tried to use a polarized sheet and my phone to test the glass at the LFS, but I wasn’t having luck. I have been told that the test can be harder to perform with a cell phone. I’m pretty sure I’m going to end up with this tank, and I’d really like to be able to drill it.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this?

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to purchase a new tank at my LFS. They have a Seapora 75 I’m looking at for my next project. I am wondering if anyone has personally had one of these tanks drilled recently?

The tank has a tempered glass stamp on the bottom panel, but not the others. The larger tanks (the reef ready 90 for example) have the stamp on the front and rear panels as well as the bottom.

I called a site advertising this tank and was told that the 75 is safe to drill, but not the 90. What I am seeing with these stamps seems to support that.

I’ve tried to use a polarized sheet and my phone to test the glass at the LFS, but I wasn’t having luck. I have been told that the test can’t be harder to perform with a cell phone. I’m pretty sure I’m going to end up with this tank, and I’d really like to be able to drill it.

Some are tempered..some are not. If not tempered..you are safe. If tempered - you are screwed. The sunglasses and laptop test is the only one that I know of.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve tried to use a polarized sheet and my phone to test the glass at the LFS, but I wasn’t having luck. I have been told that the test can’t be harder to perform with a cell phone. I’m pretty sure I’m going to end up with this tank, and I’d really like to be able to drill it.

Tempered glass is always labeled. How thick is the glass? Brand of aquarium?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My workplace has exactly this tank in the foyer with african cichlids. That's the thinnest glass I've ever seen on a 75 (with big fat black silicone beads to make it look thicker). Apparently only the bottom is tempered on it but I still wouldn't drill the sides on that tank. It's either thin because it's tempered or thin because it's minimum safety.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My workplace has exactly this tank in the foyer with african cichlids. That's the thinnest glass I've ever seen on a 75 (with big fat black silicone beads to make it look thicker). Apparently only the bottom is tempered on it but I still wouldn't drill the sides on that tank. It's either thin because it's tempered or thin because it's minimum safety.
Yep, I did see the 75 at Al's , under the Aqueon banner (as I understand same manufacturer?), and concur the glass was distinctly thinner than the 90 I bought of same brand.

As for OP, Seapora/ Aqueon does make a 'reef ready ' pre drilled on the 75 for about a hundred bucks more at my local retailer. Could yours order that one for you and save you the headache?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, I did see the 75 at Al's , under the Aqueon banner (as I understand same manufacturer?), and concur the glass was distinctly thinner than the 90 I bought of same brand.

As for OP, Seapora/ Aqueon does make a 'reef ready ' pre drilled on the 75 for about a hundred bucks more at my local retailer. Could yours order that one for you and save you the headache?
Just bought aqueon 75 in November for less than a hundred bucks. 40 breeder for 49.95 and a 55 that cos more. 149.00. Not predrilled. I use overflow boxes that are cheap because I make them. Petco. Just a cheap option. They all were tempered bottom only.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought aqueon 75 in November for less than a hundred bucks. 40 breeder for 49.95 and a 55 that cos more. 149.00. Not predrilled. I use overflow boxes that are cheap because I make them. Petco. Just a cheap option. They all were tempered bottom only.
That is nice pricing!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

JakeH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Seapora tanks come wrapped in an aquarium masters box. I think they used to be DeepBlue.

I want as much free space in the tank as possible. My LFS does have the corner overflow options, but I chose the headache.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Seapora tanks come wrapped in an aquarium masters box. I think they used to be DeepBlue.

I want as much free space in the tank as possible. My LFS does have the corner overflow options, but I chose the headache.
You can get an Aqueon 75 right now at Petco for cheap. Every other month they do a $1:Gallon sale (or something close) up to 40 Gallons, the larger tanks get heavy discounts. Maybe check the Aqueon price before you buy the Seapora. Aqueon's can definitely be drilled (Also, Fijicube makes AIO's for them to be used in Penninsula-style if you don't want to drill at all)

OP
OP
J

JakeH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My planted tank is a Petco sale Aqueon. That tank is running an auto water change with Greg Sage’s pvc overflow design.

I wanted to level of this time around and the silicone is much cleaner on the Seapora. I’m hoping I can drill and have something closer to a premium kit tank, but I can live with a hang on overflow if I have to.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My planted tank is a Petco sale Aqueon. That tank is running an auto water change with Greg Sage’s pvc overflow design.

I wanted to level of this time around and the silicone is much cleaner on the Seapora. I’m hoping I can drill and have something closer to a premium kit tank, but I can live with a hang on overflow if I have to.
O think the neater silicone is the main difference. I don't have water in the 40 but the others look just like a reef tank even though they were cheap. A few fish, some rock and corals and it looks a lot like the 500 buck sepora. If you can weld acrylic you can design an overflow system for 50 bucks that is adjustable and not so large and unsightly. Are you going to take it to a glass shop to get it drilled? Good luck with it. I hope it goes great either way you go.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back