Can I feed my snails algae wafers?

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2020
Messages
1,553
Reaction score
1,339
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails ran out of algae to eat. Is it possible to feed snails spirulina algae wafers until more algae comes back?
 
Yes, or you can feed them nori sheets.
 
In my personal experience I never found that algae wafers were being eaten by snails. What I have done is get some Spongeexcel (silica) and dose a little of that. Strongly encourages growths of diatoms which I see snails eat.
 
I have a problem getting nori sheets to the bottom
I have 15 Mexican turbos that can eat an 8x8 sheet of dry alge in about two hours. Here is how I feed them. It is practical but not beautiful. The clear panel is window glass to weigh down the feeder. I cut feeding “windows” in plastic mesh.

5F4CADC8-EB54-42D3-A475-FC160CC71FB1.jpeg

212ADC91-0B59-4B4E-90D6-9543DA1B6A7B.jpeg
 
I got some Ocean Nutrition “Green Marine Algae with natural garlic extract”. Nothing special about it other than it was on sale. It’s basically just garlic flavored seaweed paper for fish. It took a few hours for it to soften up enough for my Astraea snails to eat it, but my nerites are not accepting it or anything else I offer them for that matter. I tried a piece of macro algae with green algae all over it, the seaweed paper and blanched zucchini. They wouldnt eat any of it even when I placed tham right on it. My chocolate chip starfish ate the zucchini chip center out and amphipods finished up the scraps through the night. I’m afraid that the nerites might starve to death if I don’t find something they will eat soon.

20201221_213010.jpg
20201221_214151.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new