Can I get a mandarin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reef kid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Please please please talk to Paul B about "why" Mandarins eat so many copepods. Has to do with their unique digestive tracks, that are unlike most other fish.

I won't go into the sordid details but I will tell you this....I killed 2 Mandarins and a Scooter Dragonet trying to do exactly what you are doing. I also ruined a 3yr old tank. It was an experience I'll not forget and it's been over 2yrs.
If your tank is not large enough to sustain a thriving copepod population your Mandarin will not survive long on prepared foods alone. No matter what you tell yourself.

That is why I intend to give him a constant supply of live brine shrimp. Not frozen, I have a scooter blennie who is actually very healthy, this I am certain of because of his coloration. He is very dark and solid looking. I understand your concern,but it has been done successfully. Also, I am confused. As crazy as it sounds I got my scooter when my tanks was one month old he has honestly been very healthy the entire time.
 
@Paul B , what do you think. Will he be fine as long as I make sure he has live brine every day?
 
Yeah, that's what I'm using... He's now eating them pretty constantly and appears happy. It is weird though, every 20 seconds he alternates between eating and staring at his reflection. When he does eat though, he eats constantly, snapping up a brine shrimp in rapid succession.
 
I had one and they are not worth the trouble unless you are very experienced and you have a thriving pod population. It's all up to you though.
 
Yeah, that's what I'm using... He's now eating them pretty constantly and appears happy. It is weird though, every 20 seconds he alternates between eating and staring at his reflection..

I do the same thing. :rolleyes:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new