OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, I have brine shrimp eggs in the mail. I am going to do what Paul did so they can eat all day. I just need to keep him healthy till then

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Sir...Are just showing off.:D:p

Thanks.:)

No I am not. If I wanted to show off I would have posted this one. But I won't. :rolleyes:
And, yes, the picture of the poster's mandarin is very skinny and on the verge of starvation. But they fatten up quickly.

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up an area for him with a full cube of frozen and for now will try to make sure he gets enough food tell I get the brineshrimp set up. I didn't realize he was unhealthy or else I would have done this stuff earlier. Thanks for the Helmand making me realize this, if I see any major deteriation I will take him somewhere because I don't want him to die

JaihWill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I am not. If I wanted to show off I would have posted this one. But I won't. :rolleyes:
And, yes, the picture of the poster's mandarin is very skinny and on the verge of starvation. But they fatten up quickly.

Paul how'd you get the brine to the net, I'm having a issue with water in the tube not pushing into the container.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? He is just as big as when I got him. I can make sure he gets more frozen, but he is very clearly eating a lot of pods all day still.

Even if there were zero pods in your tank, you would see the same picking behavior. It actually doesn't mean he's eating even one.

The area that shows he's not as big as he should be is the area where the arrow is pointing. That ridge, the bone, shouldn't be sticking out like that.

mande.jpg

My mandy had that happen one time and it's when "he" was going through a divorce and was only being fed 3 times a week until the tank was finally moved.

That ridge appeared after a couple of months of this and then disappeared when he resumed daily feedings.

mandarin_zpsr2ymtkpr.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up an area for him with a full cube of frozen and for now will try to make sure he gets enough food tell I get the brineshrimp set up. I didn't realize he was unhealthy or else I would have done this stuff earlier. Thanks for the Helmand making me realize this, if I see any major deteriation I will take him somewhere because I don't want him to die
dont sweat it too hard. Your on the right track. The fish is fine. Paul is teasing a bit.
Dont over feed the tank. It a fine line.

HAHAHAHAHA....now your just bein' mean

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn't see this post until salty quoted it... he's ok..... he's just skinny. Don't stress. I didn't mean for you to stress. They can take a lot.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul how'd you get the brine to the net, I'm having a issue with water in the tube not pushing into the container.
The tube you are using is probably to thick. It needs to be no more than about 3/8" . You put the shrimp in the funnel at the top and add just a little water like two tablespoons. That is about all the water that can fit in that tube so anything in the tube will go down into the net. Did you see the instructions for building the thing? I think I linked it on here.
Here is a video of them eating along with some pipefish who are also spawning.

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I hope I didn't over feed. My hermits cleared out an entire cube of frozen befor my mandarin could even get to it though so I'm not to worried.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)
Just keep an eye out. the more you feed the tank(all the food you put in) stays in and the only thing taking it out is you and the filter. Stir the sand and vac at water changes.
Even though the crabs are eating it they are putting it back in the tank later (eew poo) and stays in the tank.
Sometimes you have to overfeed the tank. but be aware you will have to over clean now. :)
it part of the job of being a mom or dad.:eek:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of food I poured into my tank when I was training my Orange Spotted Filefish was crazy. Like CRAZY crazy. Don't crash your tank, but Momma never said this wanna gonna be for the faint of heart. :)

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, I have Mandy isolated with a bunch of brine Shrimp. The problem is he is way to focused on his reflection to eat. So I turned all lights off in the hopes he would calm down but am worried he won't be able to see the brine. Any ideas, should I just hope he finds them in the main tank?

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, he's started picking at them constantly! All is good. Now just need to fatten him up over the next couple of days

JaihWill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great. Paul B has a post about using white worms to fatten them up. Might be worth looking into

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following how big of a tank do you recommend for a mandarin. I love them but don't want to get a fish I can't take care of properly. I'm planning a 40g build with a 20g sump. Is this too small to develop enough pods for one mandarin?

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following how big of a tank do you recommend for a mandarin. I love them but don't want to get a fish I can't take care of properly. I'm planning a 40g build with a 20g sump. Is this too small to develop enough pods for one mandarin?

Yes if you only rely on pods, but if you feed brineshrimp like I'm starting it might be possible.wait for others opinions though.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, I have Mandy isolated with a bunch of brine Shrimp. The problem is he is way to focused on his reflection to eat. So I turned all lights off in the hopes he would calm down but am worried he won't be able to see the brine. Any ideas, should I just hope he finds them in the main tank?

Please please please talk to Paul B about "why" Mandarins eat so many copepods. Has to do with their unique digestive tracks, that are unlike most other fish.

I won't go into the sordid details but I will tell you this....I killed 2 Mandarins and a Scooter Dragonet trying to do exactly what you are doing. I also ruined a 3yr old tank. It was an experience I'll not forget and it's been over 2yrs.
If your tank is not large enough to sustain a thriving copepod population your Mandarin will not survive long on prepared foods alone. No matter what you tell yourself.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back