OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please please please talk to Paul B about "why" Mandarins eat so many copepods. Has to do with their unique digestive tracks, that are unlike most other fish.

I won't go into the sordid details but I will tell you this....I killed 2 Mandarins and a Scooter Dragonet trying to do exactly what you are doing. I also ruined a 3yr old tank. It was an experience I'll not forget and it's been over 2yrs.
If your tank is not large enough to sustain a thriving copepod population your Mandarin will not survive long on prepared foods alone. No matter what you tell yourself.

That is why I intend to give him a constant supply of live brine shrimp. Not frozen, I have a scooter blennie who is actually very healthy, this I am certain of because of his coloration. He is very dark and solid looking. I understand your concern,but it has been done successfully. Also, I am confused. As crazy as it sounds I got my scooter when my tanks was one month old he has honestly been very healthy the entire time.

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's what I'm using... He's now eating them pretty constantly and appears happy. It is weird though, every 20 seconds he alternates between eating and staring at his reflection. When he does eat though, he eats constantly, snapping up a brine shrimp in rapid succession.

ShaneTweedz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one and they are not worth the trouble unless you are very experienced and you have a thriving pod population. It's all up to you though.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's what I'm using... He's now eating them pretty constantly and appears happy. It is weird though, every 20 seconds he alternates between eating and staring at his reflection..

I do the same thing. :rolleyes:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back