Can I get sea shells from the ocean ?

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live really close to the ocean, I’m sure the answer is yes but can I get shells and other stuff of that matter from the coast?

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live really close to the ocean, I’m sure the answer is yes but can I get shells and other stuff of that matter from the coast?
I also live close to the ocean, I have a bunch(shells) in my 125 Freshwater, for some reason, if I add any to my saltwater tank, even after cleaning thoroughly, they just collect algae. I do not have hermits though.

The only stuff I add from the ocean to my Saltwater Tank comes from Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Sand stuff.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For less than the cost of a cup of coffee, you can save a hermit.
stray dogs dog GIF by HuffPost

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue as Roatan Reef in that empty shells seem to grow algae faster than anything else in my tanks. So I only use live animals with shell!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put sands shells from the Ocean and the Corpus Christi Bay into my tanks all the time. Collect in the summer, the sand add great fauna and flora diversity to my tanks. I also add mangrove to my sump from seed collected in the ocean.
IMG_1432.jpeg

This seedling actually from my plant so it is a “second generation” seeding. It was bobbing in the sump. I feel sorry for it and secure it so it start growing. I is a seed from flower by my plant last summer.
IMG_1433.jpeg

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue as Roatan Reef in that empty shells seem to grow algae faster than anything else in my tanks. So I only use live animals with shell!
My Diamond goby uses them as construction materials to line his burrow so it doesnt collapse.
I sat there for a few hours one night watching him build his burrow and it was wild how they know what they're doing!

Anyway, that's a good use for shells.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back