Can I have this? And That? And That, too? (Making stocking tradeoffs...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had to make that tough decision: Do I keep that _______Fish in my reef? Should I take a chance with it, or will it devour my Chalice collection?

One tough call, huh?

Usually, it’s that crazy-rare Angelfish or ultra-cool Butterflyfish that you have been coveting for ever and just can’t resist! And now, the LFS or online vendor HAS ONE IN STOCK!! (I know your pain- I’ve dealt with this decision many times over my hobby “career”). How do you decide what to do? It’s all a matter of working the fine art of balancing what you want to keep with what you must keep- and it requires planning, risk-taking, and sometimes, a gut-check as a reefer-or even a flip of a coin!

wai-aqu-peppermint-angel.jpg

C'mon Marc, you'll choose this fish over a coral any day! Right?

Whatever.

Let’s face it, to keep a fish that is a known coral-sampler in a reef tank takes a special breed of hobbyist- one who loves his favorite fish more than his favorite corals.

There is a way to proceed.

It’s a matter of balance, really. I mean, if you just have to keep a Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus in your aquarium, you are certainly going to have to accept the fact that some collateral damage to your corals may occur. On the other hand, if you love your Dan Rigle ATL Shades of Fall Nasuata colony more than some $2,500 Angelfish- just forget about it (But what geek would choose a coral over a fish? Sheesh!!).

Or, you could compromise.

UC3inch-ultra-acan-echinata-with-zoos-118.jpg

Compromise? What's that? Why?

That’s right- compromise-a word that we don’t often use in reefkeping. It simply means that if you want to keep that potentially coral-nipping fish in your tank stocked with prized corals, no one is going to feel sorry for you if the fish mows down your entire Acropora collection. However, if you accept the fact that some corals will be nipped, and restrain yourself from keeping the uber-rare collectible ones in the tank with your Centropyge boylei, you can make it work.

Just Learn to love the more commonly available varieties of captive-propagated coral, which can more readily and affordably be replenished when they get wacked by your Angelfish. Propogate tons of replacement colonies and “plant them” in your reef when they get mowed down… Oh sure, there are a lot of hobbyists out there that will indignantly scream, “Why expose ANY corals to the potential of being eaten by a fish? I can’ t say I have an answer, other than we need to accept the responsibility for our decisions and be comfortable with the ethics of them.

UC1andhalfinch-pumping-xenia-28-inventory-3.jpg

"Feeder Xenia?" Sure, why not?

Of course, you can also alter your husbandry a bit and simply feed the crap out of your favorite fish to keep them satisfied most of the time, thus reducing snacking incidents as much as possible. Here’s an idea: Spend some time on sites like fishbase.org and see what stomach content analysis of wild-specimens of your dream fish reveals about their diets, and try to provide that item if possible. If it’s small, free-swimming and tasty, chances are good that live-food vendors have something like it available for the hobby. On the other hand, if a significant percentage of the fish’s natural diet is live coral polyps (as opposed to coral mucous), you’ve got to make that most difficult of calls for a reefer.

chaxornatissimusA7.jpg

Chaetodon ornatissimus..Would you if you could?

Let’s be serious about one thing- there is little likelihood that a fish which incorporates coral as the majority of its diet will suddenly switch to an exclusive diet of Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery Diet (Great food, BTW!), but it may certainly learn over time to accept other foods as a substitute. Look at the work being done with Orange Spot Filefish by Matt Pedersen. The guy was breeding them and getting them to accept mysids and other foods as the bulk of their diet.

DSCN9450.jpg

One of Matt's great fishy achievements..The product of careful feeding- and compromise.

Now I’m not saying that you’ll get your Centropyge nigriocella to thrive on freeze-dried Tubifex worms, but I am saying that you can certainly experiment with a wide variety of available foods while the fish is in quarantine (oh yeah- you’ve heard of that process, right?). Or, you could simply get really good at propagating “feeder” Xenia. There is almost always an argument that can be made for experimentation.

Almost.

To summarize my rambling, it’s really a matter reconciling your personal interest and love of corals versus fish. For many of us, the choice is clear and one will always win out over the other. To others, the choice is not so clear-cut, and we’ll make the call based on our willingness to accept the risk. *

If that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get a Centropyge debelius comes along, you really have to decide if you-and your aquarium-are up for the challenge and risk. Have no regrets. Because if you don’t make the call, John Coppolino will! And he’ll be the first to tell you it was an easy decision, too!

You may not be able to have it all in a reef system, but you can have most of it!

I’m reasonably sure of that….I think…Right?

So, what’s the ONE fish that you would risk your beloved coral collection to have swimming in your tank? There must be one, right? Money is no object for you…so what’s the fish- and what’s the call?

Till next time,

Stay wet…
Scott Fellman

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love reading your articles!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hubby has been begging me for a flame angel...I'm giving in under the condition that as soon as it eats one of my corals, it's gone, and he has to replace the coral.

adevice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to have a Flame and a Majestic angel. So far the Majestic has only eaten the mouth out of a cynarina (I got it to grow back in the ref). Clams, SPS, Hammer, Frogspawn, bubble, palys/zoas and Xenia have all been untouched. I have set up another tank for LPS, once it is cycled I will be able to try some of the more fleshy LPS in the angel tank and if necessary more them out.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend gave me a juvenile bandit angel. Haven't seen it nip anything. Eats frozen like mad. He's getting pretty fat.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a Multibarred Angel and he ate frozen food right away. He also ate my SPS, LPS, and my Zoas. He wasn't a picky eater at all!

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry this thread is a waste and it should be noted that what you are suggesting isnt acceptable! a coral is an animal not a plant! corals are colonies of individual animals and they should be treated like animals
hey why not just throw two undulated triggers in a tank we can take bets just like dogfighting.......

its like saying, I like my cat but the new dog I just got will eat my toyger tonight but its of I know the breeder .....
or I breed and raise mice but im going to raise this new green tree python in with them.....

should I go on......

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry this thread is a waste and it should be noted that what you are suggesting isnt acceptable! a coral is an animal not a plant! corals are colonies of individual animals and they should be treated like animals
hey why not just throw two undulated triggers in a tank we can take bets just like dogfighting.......

its like saying, I like my cat but the new dog I just got will eat my toyger tonight but its of I know the breeder .....
or I breed and raise mice but im going to raise this new green tree python in with them.....

should I go on......

It's more like putting a dog in a room with a cat, hands-off. It might work, it might not.

However, I should note that the thread is more about 'do I want the butterflyfish or the acans more.'

Last edited:

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to make this decision when I got back into the hobby after 20 years off. I love angelfish. My last tank I had an emperor, flame and lemon peel. Each with very unique cool personalities. I was away for a weekend and a power outage wiped out my tank. I was in college and could barely afford it in the first place so I sold the tank and quit. 20 years later I walk into, of all places, worldwide corals and my newfound love for corals won out. I couldn't risk angels with my corals.
AND battery back ups were my first purchase on the new tank.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

should I go on......

Not really, it's a great topic. It just takes a little research, dedication and compromise. For example look at tanks like Brad Syphus and John Coppolino, nobody would ever look at those two tanks and think your murdering those corals. They have some of the nicest corals around with not one but a handful of angels not considered reef safe. Brad even has a lemon peel and emperor. These guys have figured out how much they need to feed, designed their systems to deal with the extra feeding and they've chose their coral collections wisely and stayed away from the fleshy stuff. Sometimes you also gotta be willing to do what it takes to remove a fish if needed. John even has a pretty nice collection of clams. It doesn't have to be careless decision, it can be done with care.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back