Can i keep a domino damsel with these fish?

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.25" picasso, 3" scopas, 3" banggai cardinal,3" 6 line wrasse, 3" niger trigger, 3" sailfin tang, 3" horseshoe crab, 2 big hermits and a big brittle starfish
All in a 125 lots of caves and rocks,

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t take that domino. I had experience with them and they are DEMONS. They are extremely aggressive and will try to kill any new additions you ever add.

I wouldn’t put one in my tank even if you paid me to.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't suggest adding damsels after they're 2"+
They do get mean as they get bigger and can throw whatever weight they have around so to say.
I recently added one to my 240g and it's the size of ur thumb nail.
D

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not unless it's into your sump, and your sump is nice for him. He's free for a reason, and the reason is probably that he's acting on his instincts and bullying everything. It's not his fault, but dominoes are pretty nasty.

Also, you should rehome the horseshoe crab. They get over a foot long, and are only suitable for truly massive aquaria.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I loved my plump 2 /12" Domino in my 150-- remember when they sold for $3.95?-- all the comments above are true. :disappointed-face:
I had a pair in a previous cube tank. It started out well. Then they established dominance and it all went to hell. They outright attacked a pair of clownfish and pair of chromis. Killed the male clown and nearly killed the female before I got them out. It was so bad to where they were even was attacking the clowns & chromis after lights out.

I vividly remember dominos as a 3 dollar fish. I think I got the pair for maybe 10 bucks.

IMG_20200827_171544.jpg

IMG_20200828_105658.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I first started my saltwater aquarium, I was drawn towards a domino damsel given the incredibly cheap price. I read up on them though and immediately decided that they aren’t suited for aquariums of any size!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They do make nice fish for tanks that have no other fish. Lots of personality, fun to watch. I'd eventually like a pair in a sump somewhere.

Wonder if a clown goby could live with them? Clown gobies taste nasty. In my prior tank, I had a yellowtail blue damsel and a green clown goby. The yellowtail wasn't super agro, but if something came near his cave, he'd chase after it. One time, the goby landed right by his cave, and the damsel tried to defend his turf. He slapped it in the face with his tail a few times, and got nowhere. So, he nipped it. Once.
Then he backed away, making spitting motions, and fled into his cave. He was fine later, but he never nipped the goby again. The goby was fine, too, small damsels don't bite hard.
So I wonder- get a couple of dominoes small enough that their testing nip won't hurt the goby, and maybe it'd work. Maybe they'd nip it once, learn not to do that, and leave it alone. Or maybe its perching nature would mean they'd ignore it.

Back