Can I kill this monti? And how?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out your build thread. I feel your pain with work hours, I have a pretty rough schedule too, and attribute a lot of my success to the DOS and auto water changes. I don’t remember the last time i put a siphon hose in that tank! Really all I do is mix water every two weeks, feed the tank daily, and fill the ato with RO and kalk
I want to get there. I am having more problems since I added the Trident and DOS. I seem to spend more time trying to fix the automation than I did doing things manually.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why kill it?? It's an animal. There are plenty of people that would love a free Monti. So many people lost their corals when they lost electricity in the storms..please share corals don't kill them... also you can trade them in your local store for credits..sorry but it upsets me to kill a coral..

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kalkwasser mixed to paste like substance works to cut it back. Idk where you are but Im in NYC if you need to unload some monti cap

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93E1FB89-D073-4AB8-B735-34AB91D3AB1D.jpeg

hey guys, so I want to kill this monti cap to create a a natural shelf for new frags. What would be the best way to kill it? It’s too big for kalk. I have considered the following ways:

~wrapping a plastic bag around it

~loosely glueing black abs plastic sheet cut to about the size of it right over the top for as long as it takes to die

~majano wand?

any other suggestions would be great.

My other concern is that killing it will release ammonia and or toxins, should I be worried about that? I’d be running carbon at least. I certainly don’t want to nuke the tank trying this.
How about putting it up for free instead of killing an animal. Have you read how many people are devastated loosing their corals from loosing electric from the storms? Anyone would love a beautiful coral for free. Would Even pay for the postage.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why kill it?? It's an animal. There are plenty of people that would love a free Monti. So many people lost their corals when they lost electricity in the storms..please share corals don't kill them... also you can trade them in your local store for credits..sorry but it upsets me to kill a coral..
Well technically it’s a clone of an animal I grew from a 1” frag, and a massive amount of which is still growing elsewhere in my reef and killing other corals. So I don’t think we need to cue up the arms of the angel song just yet, and if we’re honest I doubt anyone in this forum can say they haven’t killed a coral. I do trade corals and as I mentioned anyon local is welcome to some, but we’re talking about a very common low value easily aquaculture coral here and as I said earlier, I want to use this cap specifically as a frag rack basically, not hack it up and give it away.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to cue up the angel music (not familiar with that tune either) but montipora skeleton when it dies isn't going to hold much weight. As previously noted, it is fairly fragile and tends to crumble under pressure.

Perhaps if you just keep trimming the edges I think it could get thicker over time so that eventually it would make a nifty little frag shelf that other coral can encrust.

After you trim, make a habit of dumping the crumbs off at your local fish store. Maybe they can use those to figure out how to keep coral growing. That could be a huge Win/Win, and the coral protecting angels will smile on you and sing.

magic forest fairy GIF

Tralalalala. The end.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well technically it’s a clone of an animal I grew from a 1” frag, and a massive amount of which is still growing elsewhere in my reef and killing other corals. So I don’t think we need to cue up the arms of the angel song just yet, and if we’re honest I doubt anyone in this forum can say they haven’t killed a coral. I do trade corals and as I mentioned anyon local is welcome to some, but we’re talking about a very common low value easily aquaculture coral here and as I said earlier, I want to use this cap specifically as a frag rack basically, not hack it up and give it away.
Welll im confused Sorry but your thread ask how you kill it and all I could think of was all the threads of people that are devastating loosing there animals and fish from out west and north from no electric and would love for someone to give them a coral I live in south Florida and we are fine but my heart goes out to people loosing corals when others kill there's and I get it that monti s killing other corals. Not trying to be argumentative but I don't believe in killing a live coral when people would love to get their aquarium going again. Sorry I apologize but when I read kill or bag up or Kalk it to death it hit a nerve. Honestly for all the years in this business I never heard of people doing that till i read the post and then others agreed. A post saying free coral for corals people don't want would be cool instead of killing them..Here in Florida we trade corals to people in need or friends if our corals get to big or I trade them in for credit for other fish or coral. I have fish that are getting to big for my 180 tank and Tampa aquarium will take them because I can't afford a 400 gallon tank.anyway sorry, didn't mean to be disrespectful. I even save seahorses from the fisherman when they get caught in their nets so they don't die because they lost a tail . So again sorry for my comments I just believe in saving animals, fish. corals and give them a forever home we help rescue animals . Everthing deserves to live they depend on us to survive. ❤

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with the folks of the mindset that killing it is a waste and the it will be too fragile to make a good frag shelf. Now those electric green pally's that are advancing from the rear ... those are the spawn of the devil and are a huge pain for me. They spread like fire and are almost impervious to death. Those I would kill in a heartbeat while you have the chance. :p

Dennis

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew they why kill it people were coming.. thanks.. every time I pluck out about 30 mini stars a day and through them out I actually do feel guilty..
But unless we are vegans and really ethical, maybe we are all kind of hypocrites..
Now starting a well “this that” but it’s a monti... everyone calm down.. and half the time you will get flakes not showing up and wasting time. Some corals are weeds, and while I agree w keeping corals alive, sometimes you do end up throwing some out like Kenya tree or so on when no one wants it including lfs... timing is key too.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people in here are not really reading the whole post. I want it to become part of my rock work and put new coral on its skeleton so breaking it up to give away is the exact opposite of what I am trying to do. As far as holding weight, although monti cap can be fragile, this one has been trimmed back again and again and regrown over itself many times over the last 2 years, so at this point, other than the very edges it is pretty thick and should easily hold a bunch of frags. Plus all but the edges are supported by rock, so I am not too worried about that.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with the folks of the mindset that killing it is a waste and the it will be too fragile to make a good frag shelf. Now those electric green pally's that are advancing from the rear ... those are the spawn of the devil and are a huge pain for me. They spread like fire and are almost impervious to death. Those I would kill in a heartbeat while you have the chance. :p

Dennis
Dennis I have a trick for those. If I put a small piece of rubble up against thier stalks in a way that makes them irritated, they will usually walk right up on to that bit of Rubble and are easily removed once they’re attatched to it. Ymmv but it’s worked for me. If not there’s always the aptasiaX/kalk majano wand one two punch

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off you'll need to grab a 12 pack of beer. Then, get a prybar from the garage. Then...

Axe Stunt GIF by Beastie Boys

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back