Can I let a fish grow in a acclimation box?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jadedog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jadedog

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2025
Messages
382
Reaction score
206
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I ordered a chalk basslet and I wasn't expecting it to be so small. Hes only about 1 inch long. I have a pretty peaceful tank but I dont feel safe letting him out of the acclimation box until he atleast doubles in size. Is it cruel to keep him in the box for a few weeks?
 
I would go buy a 10 gallon tank . Add a few pvc pipe connectors and do water changes to keep nutrients down .
 
What are the other tank mates?
Bicolor blenny, blue chin fairy wrasse , fire fish, 2 clowns and a bangai cardinal which im most worried about he likes to chase and the basslet is food size.
 
it sounds a bit cruel, it takes longer than 2 weeks to double in size...
Yeah... hes only been in the box for 1 day so im just trying to figure out what's best for him. Ive just read horror stories of little fish getting eaten when released.
 
The suggestion to get a little tank with live rock or pvc is a better way to go.
I use my Pico all the time for fish and coral observation.
 
The suggestion to get a little tank with live rock or pvc is a better way to go.
I use my Pico all the time for fish and coral observation.
Ok i do have a empty 10gal i could set up for him. Hes already quarantined so I could put some rocks and sand in for him
 
Ok i do have a empty 10gal i could set up for him. Hes already quarantined so I could put some rocks and sand in for him
That sounds like a good idea!
 
Ok i do have a empty 10gal i could set up for him. Hes already quarantined so I could put some rocks and sand in for him
Fish grow slowly. I put my tiny fish in my 14 gallon or my Pico.
Your main display looks awesome.
 
Here's a Pic of the little guy lol. Ill take another when I set up his 10gal home! Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260109_072726_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20260109_072726_Messages.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 46

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new