Can i put two blue hippos in a 125?

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t. I had a single powder blue, maybe 3.5”-4” in a 4ft 100 gallon tank and he was pretty aggressive by the time i got rid of him. Had to exchange him for a smaller one. I don’t know that two of the same tang would be very happy in a tank that size, especially two that are 4” in size. They’d probably fight quite a bit.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t. I had a single powder blue, maybe 3.5”-4” in a 4ft 100 gallon tank and he was pretty aggressive by the time i got rid of him. Had to exchange him for a smaller one. I don’t know that two of the same tang would be very happy in a tank that size, especially two that are 4” in size. They’d probably fight quite a bit.
the temperament between a powder blue and an atlantic blue (hippo tang) is considerably different but i'd still expect them to battle without a ton of dither fish in the system to distract them. Not impossible but challenging.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 with 3 yellow tangs, a Chevron Tang, Clown Tang, Regal Tang, Powder Blue Tang, and a Purple Tang. Most of them were in my 120 and have been together for 5 years the yellows and powder have only been with me for 3 years.

You absolutely can keep multiple tangs together but there are a few things to note.
  1. It is easier to add 3 or more tangs than 2. 2 is likely the worst possible number of tangs. 3 or more will spread out the aggression while with only 2 they will fight until there is one winner and the winner will direct all of his aggression on the loser.
  2. It really helps if you add all of the tangs at once or close together. If one fish has been in the tank a long time it will get very territorial to new additions.
  3. Feed like a madman. I feed 5 times per day to help diffuse aggression.
  4. There will always be some fighting. Fighting is normal it just doesn't need to get extreme.

Back