Can I redrill holes on bottom of tank to accomdate larger bulkhead ?

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He stated 700 gpm (as in gallons per minute). What would qualify as a firehose. I knew he meant 700gph though, just messing with him.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with new abs shouldn't have an issue as long as you don't try to overtighten the threads

OP
OP
Steve_Skullsplitter0

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is in basememt so the head height is about 13ft so i bought a jebao DC return pump with about 800gph flow at 13ft. But it has a controller so i can slow it down if its too much. Think it was model 15000 or 18000 can't remember. At work now ill look when i get home.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use both bulkheads as drains. That way you can use 1 for a full siphon and the other as an emergency and go over the top with the return? That would give you maximum flow through the drains. Also the saying that a standard bulkhead will fail at some point is not really true. If you over tighten it then yeas it will eventually fail. Honestly anything with a seal can and will eventually fail. But its really not that big a deal. If it does start to leak do a water change. Drain the water so no water can get into the over flow. Then use a shop vac to remove water in the over flow. change out the bulkheads and then add the new water. Bulkheads are fixed you the tank got a water change

rob G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used ABS bulkheads for years without issue. They are prone to cracking if over tightened and can have issues if messed with after being installed, but if they are just tightened to snug and not messed with, they really will last for years. I have never had one fail on me. Just my 2 cents. Also, if you have a single over flow instead of two corners, consider running your return line over the tank rim and using the drilled return hole as a full siphon or at least and emergency drain. That is what I did.

OP
OP
Steve_Skullsplitter0

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I was thinking that 2 drains might be best. I'll let you know how it goes when i get that far.

OP
OP
Steve_Skullsplitter0

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank holes in bottom of overflow
20180620_205733.jpg

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow Rate and Turn over rate are not the same..

You can add in tank circulation with lower flow thru sump and be perfectly successful ..

I agree its likely tempered and they do drill before tempering of course you can NOT Cut Tempered glass...

Good Luck

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REmember, your sump only needs to clean and reheat the water from the display. I've been running a 210G SPS tank with 700GPH of return for a decade. Using both of the drains as a Herbie overflow with an over the top return is your best bet as already discussed. FWIW, I have a 1200GPH pressure rated return pump with a 30' head before cut out. It pushes through 20 feet 1" pipe four 90 elbows up 6 feet and into two over the top returns. My apex says I get 700 gallons out of it.... I'm sure your two bulkheads will be fine.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See... just replace them and be happy... and I also made mine overflow and emergency and went over the top with my return.

OP
OP
Steve_Skullsplitter0

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you guys talked me into it... i just bought all the stuff to run 2 drains and over the top return. Should be here tuesday.

Thanks

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well you guys talked me into it... i just bought all the stuff to run 2 drains and over the top return. Should be here tuesday.

Thanks
With using both as drains you can go with a herbie style drain and dial in a silent drain.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious -- why schedule 80? There is no pressure in this piping, so even schedule 40 is overkill.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back