Can I run Roxx carbon again?

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All -

So to preface, I stripped my tank by running GFO for a few months. ... well how about 4 months. Nitrates were 0 and p04 was 0.00. Caught things and realized what I had done BEFORE it was too late. ....

...Since then, I have gotten things more stable and back in line thru dosing sprectraside and NeoPhos and testing like mad! P03 -- 10-12, P04 -- 0.03. and these readings have been stable over the past 2-3 weeks. Also been doing regular bi-weekly 15% water changes (155 gallon system)....

But I wanted to clean and polish my water a bit and was wondering if I could run some carbon to accomplish this .. can I run carbon or will it take critical things out that I need right now?

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stick to the recommendation on the content container of how much to use and you should be good.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stick to the recommendation on the content container of how much to use and you should be good.

Agreed. You may not even need to use that much either. Do a bucket test - fill a WHITE 5-gallon pail with tank water and cmpare to a pail of freshly mixed saltwater (saltwater looks different than RO in a bucket btw). Is it very yellow, or just a hint? If it's only a hint, you can probably use half the recommended Rox and get the results you want. If you have lots of softies though, or your tank is packed with all sorts of corals then maybe you want the carbon to absorb allelopathic biochemicals.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. You may not even need to use that much either. Do a bucket test - fill a WHITE 5-gallon pail with tank water and cmpare to a pail of freshly mixed saltwater (saltwater looks different than RO in a bucket btw). Is it very yellow, or just a hint? If it's only a hint, you can probably use half the recommended Rox and get the results you want. If you have lots of softies though, or your tank is packed with all sorts of corals then maybe you want the carbon to absorb allelopathic biochemicals.
I do have a few softies, one of which seems to be struggling lately (a weso) but the rest of the tank is primarily sps frags and small colonies.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops my bad ... lol....meant --> ( a wellso) ... Wellsophyllia ... apparently my "l"s are not working on my keypad, at least last time.

Those are hard corals - "LPS". Are you sure you have Wellsophyllia, not a Trachyphyllia?

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back