Can I save these corals?

jmt1030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what’s going on here and how to stop/save the coral from dying?

643F86D5-9CD9-4332-89E0-158C56224405.jpeg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to post your current parameters and explain if there have been any fluctuations as well. That will rule out macro element imbalances/fluctuations. Then please report lighting, flow, and any other items you might deem important to include. Also how long have you kept these corals?

Edit: While you get this information, you may want to check under the corals of monti eating nudibranchs. They have caused this kind of damage for me before. If there are none present, without further info, no one can give you a good plan of action.

OP
OP
jmt1030

jmt1030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity: 35-35.5
Calc- 450
Alk - 8.9
Haven't tested mag in a while
Flow is two Gyre's on opposite ends of the tank.

Lighting is a 8x80 ATI T5 and two Reefbar LED supplements.

I've had the one on the left for about 4 months, the one on the right i've had about a month.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, if TangingOut is right and that is a nudi, and based on your timing, I'd say the green monti brought in some nudibranchs. The extent of the damage to the green monti would indicate it has been infected for some time, while the limited damage to the purple cap would mean it has just begun to get damaged. You'll need to pull the monti's and check under them for nudis. If you do have nudis, you'll need to dip. The only dip I've found that worked was freshwater dips. Hopefully someone can chime in with a less aggressive method of eradicating the nudis. You'll also have to scrape off the eggs. I don't recommend trying to use natural methods, aka fish/inverts, to get rid of the nudis as they won't be able to get them all.

Your elements are all in line and based on the healthy parts of the corals, they have been good for some time. You even have decent PE. So if it isn't nudis, then I have no idea what caused the damage and just keeping things stable for awhile should help the corals rebound.

rjdasilva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dipped my infected montis in Kent Poly-Ox and some tank water (1 drop per 8 oz worked for me) for a minute or so. You can use a small syringe to apply the solution into the tight spots. The nudis will die and usually fall off or can be gently brushed off. Be sure to brush off all the eggs and rinse in a separate container of tank water. Be sure to check on the treated Monti every several days for the next 2 weeks to ensure the nudis don’t return. Sometimes the nudis may emerge from your live rock and re-infect the treated monti. If you see any nudis on your live rock or on montis that are impossible to remove, you can give them a shot using a syringe of full strength Kent Poly-Ox. A little goes a long way. I’ve tried this and it worked for me, neutralized the little bugger.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back