Can I save this trachy?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This trachy/welso had an aiptasia growing from it's base rock - I'm pretty sure it stung it. This is entirely my fault, a rookie mistake. I didn't even consider the aiptasia could sting the coral so I got a peppermint shrimp a couple weeks back and figured I'd go the "natural" route.

That stupid ignorance sure came back to bite me.

So, this morning this trachy looked great. Was spot fed and super puffy today.

Just looked at it this afternoon and found it like this - clear tissue recession, some areas the skeleton is showing through the tissue, like near the mouth and a couple spots along the rim, and distinctly darker color to the rim.

trachy 1.jpeg
trachy 2.jpeg

I have since killed the aiptasia with Aiptasia X.

Does this trachy stand a chance of recovery? Anything I can/should do to help it out? Is my stupid mistake going to cost me one of my favorite corals?

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, of course it can recover. Corals are remarkably resilient. Just give it time.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like low AlK burn..
Whats your Alk at? Thats looking pretty bad, is that skeleton showing next to mouth?Sorry, just noticed you said around the mouth. .raise alk first, If your in a pinch you can raise your alk with baking soda. you can try a chemiclean dip. or an iodine dip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like low All burn..
Whats your Alk at? Thats looking pretty bad, is that skeleton showing next to mouth?Sorry, just noticed you said around the mouth. .raise alk first, If your in a pinch you can raise your alk with baking soda. you can try a chemiclean dip. or an iodine dip.
Yes it is skeleton showing by the mouth.

I test weekly and Alk is always between 7-7. Was 7.2 this past Saturday before a 10% water change.

You think it’s worth the possible stress of an iodine dip?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First try and bring up your ALK to 9.You can use Bulk Reef Supply Calculator to figure out how much sodium bicarbonate to use. It will tell you how many grams to add. 1 teaspoon = 4.8 grams. A Boyds enterprise Chemiclean dip would be easy on the trachy ,ACI aquaculture has been using it. The dip is 2 1/2 scoops of Chemiclean to quart of your tank water.Its a anti bacterial.dip for 20-30 min with air. you can reuse dip.

Last edited:

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use iodine dip when fraging coral. put it in a bowl of tank water add iodine, just enough to tint it yellow. dip for 15 min.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dip anything or suddenly start tinkering with params? Coral got stung, it happens. I wouldn’t stress it more by messing with it. I think if your tank is fine where corals are living and growing currently then all it needs is time.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To much damage for a sting. Every time I ever had a problem with LPS coral skin recession 9 out of 10 times it was water chemistry. low alk. mainly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back