Can I still use this skimmer?

jsc04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6584.jpeg
This is the skimmer I used last time I had a salt setup. It is an ETSS 1500. It recommends using an Iwaki 100 RLT for the pump.
Question - Is this any good or old and obsolete?
Should I use the recommended pump or something else?
It’s going on a 360 gallon tank. I have a room behind tank so space isn’t an issue.(it’s 5’ tall)
Thanks for the help.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They skim very well. They have kinda fallen out of style with the smaller tanks, all in ones, etc. that have been popular lately - nobody has room. Downdraft and Beckett skimmers still produce some serious results.

I would not use an Iwaki and try and find a similar pump with lower wattage. 2000 GPH with head pressure is no joke. I might suggest a Laguna Max Flo 2400, or the like, where you can get 2000 GPH at a few feet of head. Of course, the Iwaki is fine... and a similar PanWorld or BlueLine would work well too.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They skim very well. They have kinda fallen out of style with the smaller tanks, all in ones, etc. that have been popular lately - nobody has room. Downdraft and Beckett skimmers still produce some serious results.

I would not use an Iwaki and try and find a similar pump with lower wattage. 2000 GPH with head pressure is no joke. I might suggest a Laguna Max Flo 2400, or the like, where you can get 2000 GPH at a few feet of head. Of course, the Iwaki is fine... and a similar PanWorld or BlueLine would work well too.
this. Make sure whatever pump you go with has the pressure to operate that skimmer. Years ago when I had my "big" system I was running a dual beckett 5' tall bashsea had a red dragon 4500 gph on it when I got it. I broke the pump one day cleaning it and got a different one when I found out how much those cost. The new one had the gph but not the head pressure the skimmer did not work well with that pump. Lucky I live close to Bashsea and Steve helped me out with a used pump that I was able to fix my other one with.

OP
OP
J

jsc04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the ecotech vectra pump. I like the idea of being able to “tune” the water flow to the skimmer. I also have an old reeflo suntail. That is overkill for the skimmer. I’ll probably use the suntail for the return pump.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you want to use the iwaki pump. You don’t want to pretend any dc pump is going to compete with the iwaki 100 in a pressur contest. I would consider doing a Beckett mod to that skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back