Can I take live rock out?

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 75 gallon and I’m guessing 70 lbs of live rock because in the beginning I had no idea what I was doing and listened to the lfs...I wanna take out 2 big rocks will it affect my parameters or any negative effects?

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly they take up so much room a lot of them are leaning against the glass / keep having rockslides I rather just have a few peices then these monster boulders

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull some pieces out… shouldn’t be a problem
Try to make sure that rocks are stable and won’t fall

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 70 lbs in a 75 is ok btw.
I have like idk 130 in my 120 but I like the LR and I'm actually looking for a few more "just right" pcs.
But if you don't like it then you can.
The LR is a BIG part of the bio filter, it is the filter.
How long has it been running ?
I assume it's cycled is this correct?
Taking 2 big pcs out will affect the bio filer but should be able to compensate that in other ways.
I just find it easier to let the LR do the job and not have to mess with anything else store bought.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what Ned said I forgot about that just take a hammer to it hit it hard and see what shapes it makes !

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always stick to 1 pound per gallon. It seems to be the right amount of rock for how I do my aquascapes and it works well as a biofilter.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all rocks are equal in terms of surface area for beneficial bacteria so a rule like "so many pounds per gallon" isn't much of a guide. I would remove what you want to with the option of adding some back or using a substitute medium if by some strange chance your nitrate, etc. increases significantly.

I try to keep mine off back tank walls for cleaning purposes, better circulation, etc.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on eye protection and you might want to use a masonry chisel with a carbide tip instead of a screwdriver or whatever tool is laying around to get more precision in shaping your rock. I have Tukani rock and it falls apart if you look at it the wrong way, btw - again, not all rock is equal.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all rocks are equal in terms of surface area for beneficial bacteria so a rule like "so many pounds per gallon" isn't much of a guide. I would remove what you want to with the option of adding some back or using a substitute medium if by some strange chance your nitrate, etc. increases significantly.

I try to keep mine off back tank walls for cleaning purposes, better circulation, etc.
It is better than no guide at all and has worked every time have I have used it with the good rock you could get 15 years ago to CaribSea Liferock manmade stuff recently.

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I haven’t done a water change in over a year I do think the lr is the main reason ...never have a issue with parameters I love the idea of breaking them up didn’t think of that I definitely do not wanna take out a few pieces then suddenly have a parameter swing so idk dang this hobby is stressful my lr landed on my Scoly I’ve had since the beginning now I’m worried it’s gonna kill it I see scapes in the flesh Dk if you can see it it looks black on Camara

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 19

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back