Can I use cloudy water change water?

kkrista123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2018
Messages
48
Reaction score
25
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I bought 55 gallons of rodi water at the fish store last evening. I mixed 40 gallons in brute rubbermaid container last night and added coral pro salt. I put heaters in and a dual wave pump to mix it. When I woke up the water was 90 degrees F and cloudy. I am wondering if it is still safe to use for a water change or if it will affect my tank? The water is cooing down and would be at temp before it went into the tank. It is getting less cloudy as it cools. Still not sure if it's safe to use..?
Thanks!
 
Let it cool down and then test your salinity at proper temp.
 
Let it cool down and then test your salinity at proper temp.

Thanks, working on it now. When it cools down would it still be safe to use if it isn't cloudy? Or should I be worried about some kind of bacteria entering the tank?
 
Its not bacteria. Something in the salt did not mix properly. If it clears I would test salinity, alk, calcium before using it.
 
I don't use Red Sea salt, but my IORC mixes a little cloudy -- especially if I have gone moany months w/o cleaning the barrel -- and I have had no issues.

A clean barrel and clean RO and salt would not likely produce a bacterial cloud that quickly IMO. But dio retest salinity at temperature.
 
Its not bacteria. Something in the salt did not mix properly. If it clears I would test salinity, alk, calcium before using it.
Just like this^^^^^
 
Thanks for all the responses, the water was still a little cloudy at temp so we dumped it and got new. Tank looks happy this morning since the water change.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new