CAN I USE MURIATIC ACID TO STERILIZE QT?

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already know about bleach and vinegar. Can I use Muriatic Acid instead? I am very aware of the danger to humans and know how to use it properly. To me, vinegar is not strong enough and bleach deteriorates so I cannot use it in the ttm which requires many new water tanks. The ONLY question I have is will it kill any pathogens, bacteria or parasites, and will it dissolve the silicone. This question requires a knowledgeable response, not THINK, MIGHT, SHOULD OR PROBABLY. Thank you all.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already know about bleach and vinegar. Can I use Muriatic Acid instead? I am very aware of the danger to humans and know how to use it properly. To me, vinegar is not strong enough and bleach deteriorates so I cannot use it in the ttm which requires many new water tanks. The ONLY question I have is will it kill any pathogens, bacteria or parasites, and will it dissolve the silicone. This question requires a knowledgeable response, not THINK, MIGHT, SHOULD OR PROBABLY. Thank you all.

I would just use bleach - the kill dose of that is known, and you can test for it with a DPD test. The only time I use muriatic is when I have calcareous material that has been contaminated with heavy metals (like copper) and I want to dissolve it back out into solution to get rid of it.

Jay

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deterioration of bleach is not a major issue if purchased in dry form. Mix as required.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question. Yes long enough exposure, shorter than bleach, it will react with anything organic and most metals. It will not react with cured silicone. To create a solution always pour acid into water. Nor water into acid. Good it. Dilute thoroughly and it's more environmentally friendly than pouring bleach down the drain.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thannks Duncan. Butt I havve moor typppos thaytn u. Watt iz thhe presenage of dlootion?
It would depend on the dilution of the product you buy. Go to lowes or home depot. Or any hdware store. There will be directions for use. My guess would be 15% minimum.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget - the yellow color of muriatic acid is caused by impurities such as iron. Hydrochloric acid is the same thing, but in purer form.

Bleach has its own issues - many of the products on the market today have perfumes and surfactants. Those need to be avoided as well.

The best thing would be to use a 5000 ppm sodium hypochlorite, from powder as mentioned.....

Jay

OP
OP
E

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget - the yellow color of muriatic acid is caused by impurities such as iron. Hydrochloric acid is the same thing, but in purer form.

Bleach has its own issues - many of the products on the market today have perfumes and surfactants. Those need to be avoided as well.

The best thing would be to use a 5000 ppm sodium hypochlorite, from powder as mentioned.....

Jay
Thank you, but can you tell me what the proper dilution of pool bleach is. I will buy the powder, but I just bought 5 gallons of liquid.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but can you tell me what the proper dilution of pool bleach is. I will buy the powder, but I just bought 5 gallons of liquid.
What is the starting concentration of the pool bleach? I can calculate it out for you. 5 gallons is a lot!
If I forget to mention it, use eye and skin protection when using this. Never mix it with acid or ammonia.
Jay

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the starting concentration of the pool bleach? I can calculate it out for you. 5 gallons is a lot!
If I forget to mention it, use eye and skin protection when using this. Never mix it with acid or ammonia.
Jay
I use liquid pool bleach and it is usually stated as 10-<30%, so I work on 2.5 x concentration of 8% household bleach

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use liquid pool bleach and it is usually stated as 10-<30%, so I work on 2.5 x concentration of 8% household bleach
My household bleach is 5.25% sodium hypochlorite…are some brands higher?
Jay

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My household bleach is 5.25% sodium hypochlorite…are some brands higher?
Jay
Ha, that's what happens when I tailor a response to what I think is the case in the OP's country.

Seachem state for purigen regeneration:
'Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach)'

So I assumed that was the case in the US.

Where I live household bleach is < 4% which is why I use pool chlorine - plus I have it on hand.

OP
OP
E

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
I have no idea, but if you tell me the concentration for regualr bleach and if I use that I will definitely be ok. Pool is stronger than clorox,

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back