Can I use this container for RODI storage once cleaned?

SEMA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 275 gallon tote that I want to use for RODI storage and saltwater mixing. The container contained at one time Ferric chloride, Aluminum chloride. I'm concerned about the aluminum part. Any suggestions on if it's safe after cleaning? And a cleaning method? I rinsed them with hot water, but would like to hear some advice. Thank you.
20180529_161525.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably skip that one... but the idea isn't a bad one. I'd just try and find one that originally contained something known safe. Local guy a few miles from me has 275 and 330 gallon totes originally containing vinegar, liquid yeast, other food products... things that you would feel a bit safer about using in your aquarium. If you check around, you're likely to be able to find something more suitable.

OP
OP
SEMA

SEMA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be purchasing some that contained much safer products as greybeard stated. These had such a small price tag so I thought I would get some input from the community. Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your thoughts.

OP
OP
SEMA

SEMA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One- they were cheap. Two- the people selling them claimed containers were used for food grade products. They use that chemical to clean ice cream machines!! ;Dead

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Everyone above! Taking unnecessary chances in this hobby usually doesn't end well. There is enough "hard to deal with" about it on a regular basis. Limit your risk and it will for sure pay off in the long run!

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but maybe will give someone ideas....

I know every area is different as I have been looking myself for suitable RODI water storage without breaking the bank and that was safe to use. I finally ran across these on CL for 18 bucks a piece. They are food grade HDPE and are originally used as Pickle and Olive barrels. Around 50 gallons
capacity and have a lid with rubber gasket. Also I have seen some listed as "sausage barrels". Just a thought if your searching and on a budget.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus it will be kinda nice to have like one for RODI water and one for Saltwater mix. etc....

OP
OP
SEMA

SEMA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these used for vinegar. 50$ each if I bought 6 or more. Which is perfect because I needed 6! I removed the plastic tank and painted the frames with multiple thick coats to resist corrosion. I also had to remove a fixed window pane to get inside. :)

I'm running 2,300 gallon atm for corals only and soon will be well over 3000g once finished. That's why I needed 6. It also will allow me to recycle my coral system water changes for fish and invert systems. Saves throwing it down the drain.

Thanks for the recommendation though!

20180627_234100.jpg

leroy_jenkinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but maybe will give someone ideas....

I know every area is different as I have been looking myself for suitable RODI water storage without breaking the bank and that was safe to use. I finally ran across these on CL for 18 bucks a piece. They are food grade HDPE and are originally used as Pickle and Olive barrels. Around 50 gallons
capacity and have a lid with rubber gasket. Also I have seen some listed as "sausage barrels". Just a thought if your searching and on a budget.
Capture.JPG

sorry for commenting on such a old post, but i actually am about to purchase the almost exact same container that was used to keep pickles in. Im assuming thats safe to keep my rodi water in and what should i use to clean it out with?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for commenting on such a old post, but i actually am about to purchase the almost exact same container that was used to keep pickles in. Im assuming thats safe to keep my rodi water in and what should i use to clean it out with?

I would clean with bleach, then rinse very well and let dry.

You should be fine.

leroy_jenkinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would clean with bleach, then rinse very well and let dry.

You should be fine.

any particular ratio of bleach and water? am i letting it sit for any particular time or just a simple mix it in and then rinse out?

leroy_jenkinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Fish Finatics advice ^ :)

sorry to double post, but am i just spraying the inside with a bleach/water solution then a good solid rinse? or am i filling the inside with bleach/water to the top then draining and let dry? i feel like both do the same but i just want to be cautious and not introduce anything into my tank

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to double post, but am i just spraying the inside with a bleach/water solution then a good solid rinse? or am i filling the inside with bleach/water to the top then draining and let dry? i feel like both do the same but i just want to be cautious and not introduce anything into my tank

Just spray it down with 50/50 bleach/water. Scrub if possible. Rinse well.

You can fill it and add bleach also. I'd have to look up the ratio for you.

When bleaching QTs I dose 1 tablespoon per gallon. Let run for 48 hours.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back