Would this be an okay tote to use for rodi ato water?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would this be safe to use to store my rodi water for my auto top off while i’m away for vacation?

would i have to clean it at all and if so what would be safe to clean it?
if anyone has any other options for more than 10 gallons let me know what you’ve used, hoping to find something i can buy during the weekend and not order online.

Not sure what that is made with, I'd stick to the brute or another food grade container.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use starelites from walmart to mix and hold salt since I am a broke boy, I use a brute for my rodi though. Seems to work fine, i also use the starelites to cure things and qt rocks and inverts. And transport anything.

I rinse them with tap good and do a final rinse with some rodi after it air dries.

They appear to be the same thing as what you post, just a different brand

Edit: surprisingly, i can fill them all the way up to the holes for the latches, and they barely warp, and I have had them stay full like that for months without issue, I've put heaters in them with no issue.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brute trash cans worked well in the past for me when I wanted to store a bunch of RO/DI water.
the reason i chose this was because my tank is currently on the floor with no stand so i didn’t want to use a brute due to height, wasn’t sure if my rodi line would reach.

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason i chose this was because my tank is currently on the floor with no stand so i didn’t want to use a brute due to height, wasn’t sure if my rodi line would reach.
Gotcha, yeah the brute probably wouldn’t be a good idea then as it could possibly start a siphon into your display tank if there is that much height difference. Maybe something similar to what @Court_Appointed_Hypeman suggested then, as long as the heights are similar. There is always a risk of siphon or flooding with ATOs on vacation.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use starelites from walmart to mix and hold salt since I am a broke boy, I use a brute for my rodi though. Seems to work fine, i also use the starelites to cure things and qt rocks and inverts. And transport anything.

I rinse them with tap good and do a final rinse with some rodi after it air dries.

Edit: surprisingly, i can fill them all the way up to the holes for the latches, and they barely warp, and I have had them stay full like that for months without issue, I've put heaters in them with no issue.
@AstroCoral you think this star lite is more safe for rodi for fish than the one i posted?

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AstroCoral you think this star lite is more safe for rodi for fish than the one i posted?

Unfortunately, I can’t comment on something I have never used so I’ll leave that to the other user who posted about those containers - I don’t have any idea what materials are used to make them. I have only used brute trash cans, 5 gallon Lowe’s buckets and acrylic ATO containers personally.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hey would you think this would work? it says it’s bpa free made from plastic. not sure if it is similar to the one you’ve used. i’m guessing that would be safe for holding water?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back