Can I use this silicone for sump baffles?

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in a few places ge 100% silicone 1 is safe for use, but I wanted to get an opinion that isn't from 2012 and earlier.
710aadf4a2c92e22f65e43958b15fba2.jpg

8ad0579402cff8e6224f6cce1be16996.jpg

818aa1f58bfec9eece6174720e19b4f1.jpg

Patrick Fulton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
works just fine. glass to glass is best, but even if its class to acrylic, it'll hold fine as long as it isn't under any net pressure.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it for years. with frags as well

You use silicone for frag plugs or to attach to the rock? How would you compare that to super glue gel? Sorry to hijack, but the OP’s question seemed answered. Thanks.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the last line of the instructions, it reads "Not for use below the waterline or in Aquariums." That is pretty specific and would be a deal killer for me.

Silicone.jpg

OP
OP
kevyg

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use silicone for frag plugs or to attach to the rock? How would you compare that to super glue gel? Sorry to hijack, but the OP’s question seemed answered. Thanks.
Lol, no problem, the question popped into my head too, thanks for asking it [emoji106]

OP
OP
kevyg

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
works just fine. glass to glass is best, but even if its class to acrylic, it'll hold fine as long as it isn't under any net pressure.
I planned on doing glass to glass. The local shop here is a small town mentality and i can get pieces cut for next to nothing.

OP
OP
kevyg

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the last line of the instructions, it reads "Not for use below the waterline or in Aquariums." That is pretty specific and would be a deal killer for me.

Silicone.jpg
Any comments on this little tid bit ?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any comments on this little tid bit ?

That mysteriously appeared on the bottle a few years ago. People suspect it was solely because they found out people were using it in that manner and they put it there for liability reasons. Many people still use it with success.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium safe silicone can be had at PetCo or PetSmart in small tubes, suitable for this kind of job. For building sumps and small tanks, I use the Momentive RTV 103 or 108. You will likely have to get Momentive online, or at a Grainger's, if you have one close to you.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GE dont want the liability for people using it for aquariums. That was not its intended purpose. However most tank builders use it, I have used it with no issues. A little peek on this forum will show countless people on here using it on their currently running systems. You must let it cure thoroughly. It says in those directions allow 12 hours but always give it 24 hours to be safe. Also take into account the colder weather we have right now that will effect cure times greatly.

OP
OP
kevyg

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GE dont want the liability for people using it for aquariums. That was not its intended purpose. However most tank builders use it, I have used it with no issues. A little peek on this forum will show countless people on here using it on their currently running systems. You must let it cure thoroughly. It says in those directions allow 12 hours but always give it 24 hours to be safe. Also take into account the colder weather we have right now that will effect cure times greatly.
Thanks, that's what I was wanting to know.

OP
OP
kevyg

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, I would do the same in their position.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully used GE Silicone I for a number of projects,
and more recently, for plastic (acrylic) to glass applications, a special GE Silicone for plastics (found in HD in the Acrylic sheet department)
Silicone Plastic.jpg

The critical thing with any Silicone is to let it cure completely (2 - 3 days) before exposing to water. Curing Silicone give off ammonia.

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, the DAP aquarium silicon at Home Depot is only $4 and is more than enough to do a sump. I used GE and nuked my entire 125 4 years ago and after the fact read the very fine print that said “mold inhibitor”. I’ll happily spend the extra $2 from now on.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siliconing baffles is hard to do becaise you have to inject it from the sides. Leave a decent gap.

Also silicone shouldnt have any mildew or mold agents in it. Otherwise its safe.

Some are ammonia cure which is toxic to fish, and others are sort of an acetate which is safe. Its not really aceric acid but smells like it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, the DAP aquarium silicon at Home Depot is only $4 and is more than enough to do a sump. I used GE and nuked my entire 125 4 years ago and after the fact read the very fine print that said “mold inhibitor”. I’ll happily spend the extra $2 from now on.

You must have used Bath and Kitchen silicone. Plain old GE Silicone I has no moldicides.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back