Can I use well water for ro and saltwater?

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi looking for some advice I was thinking at using my well to make ro and saltwater with. What do I need to check for water quality or certain things need to be? The tds is 350 ino for ro it needs to be 0 is that all? Thanks

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on well water. Had to get a booster with a 5 stage so I can save some water and I added the 3 separate canisters for the DI resins cause the CO2 was eating my mixed resin. Best bet would be to degas it but it wasnt worth the effort for me, maybe in the future. Just make sure you hve a tds meter to ensure everything is at 0

OP
OP
Croftsy

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on well water. Had to get a booster with a 5 stage so I can save some water and I added the 3 separate canisters for the DI resins cause the CO2 was eating my mixed resin. Best bet would be to degas it but it wasnt worth the effort for me, maybe in the future. Just make sure you hve a tds meter to ensure everything is at 0
Yes I need to get a booster either way as my mains is only 35psi at best. So if I run the well water through my ro and the tds comes out 0 is that good to go?

OP
OP
Croftsy

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deionization resin. It comes after the RO system, and strips out anything left by the Reverse Osmosis system.
Okay I haven’t got or knew about that. Do you mix it with the water after ro then or is it another filter the water needs to go through? I’ve just being using v2 pure 50 ro system very basic for mains water but looking to use well water

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I haven’t got or knew about that. Do you mix it with the water after ro then or is it another filter the water needs to go through? I’ve just being using v2 pure 50 ro system very basic for mains water but looking to use well water
It's another layer (or multiple layers) of filtration after the RO filters, so the water goes through it.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some where there’s an article on using RODI with well water. It covered the very topic of degassing the water. If I remember correctly the water went through the pre filters first, then out into a brute with a pipe that angled down to the bottom and the another pump bringing to the rest of the filters. The water would degas as it traveled down to the bottom of the brute. Or something like that. Unfortunately I never bookmarked to article because I don’t have a well system. Hopefully someone can shine a light on this.

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well and use it just fine. Agreed with comments above. I burn through the DI resin pretty quick. Eventually I'll add more than just one. Also, I have to get a booster. I've had no problems with well water. Just keep an eye out for TDS creeping up.

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also on a well and would go through di fast even using the 3 stage di I make may water a fill up an 100 gallon rubbermaid stock bin and of Gas it for a few days then pump it through 3 stages of di I can get about 1000 gallons before it's depleted rather than 100 without off gassing

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, basics:
Reverse Osmosis uses a special membrane to separate most everything from water. They are typically high 90s percent efficient at it but some stuff gets through. Now, to protect the membrane, the water coming in goes through some filters: a particulate filter to remove grit, a carbon block to remove chlorine (which damages the membrane). There may be 1 or 2 of each of theses, depending on the need for them. Once the water goes into the membrane chamber, the good stuff comes out mostly clean while the “brine” goes down the drain. The stuff that gets past the membrane tends to be ions, so we use a cartridge containing two types of ion capturing resins, one type liking positive ions, and one type liking negative ions. Most of us have a fairly balanced mix in our water so we use mixed resin. Some folks run two mixed stages to get everything out they can. If need be you can add another stage before the mixed to catch a specific positive/negative type based on what is in your water.

For a reference, I think the guys at BRS use 7 stages: sediment, 2 carbon, RO membrane, cation DI, anion DI, mixed resin DI.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

OP
OP
Croftsy

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some where there’s an article on using RODI with well water. It covered the very topic of degassing the water. If I remember correctly the water went through the pre filters first, then out into a brute with a pipe that angled down to the bottom and the another pump bringing to the rest of the filters. The water would degas as it traveled down to the bottom of the brute. Or something like that. Unfortunately I never bookmarked to article because I don’t have a well system. Hopefully someone can shine a light on this.
Would be interesting to find that article

OP
OP
Croftsy

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well and use it just fine. Agreed with comments above. I burn through the DI resin pretty quick. Eventually I'll add more than just one. Also, I have to get a booster. I've had no problems with well water. Just keep an eye out for TDS creeping up.
Could you post a photo or your di resin set up just so I got a better idea of what I will need to get and do

OP
OP
Croftsy

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, basics:
Reverse Osmosis uses a special membrane to separate most everything from water. They are typically high 90s percent efficient at it but some stuff gets through. Now, to protect the membrane, the water coming in goes through some filters: a particulate filter to remove grit, a carbon block to remove chlorine (which damages the membrane). There may be 1 or 2 of each of theses, depending on the need for them. Once the water goes into the membrane chamber, the good stuff comes out mostly clean while the “brine” goes down the drain. The stuff that gets past the membrane tends to be ions, so we use a cartridge containing two types of ion capturing resins, one type liking positive ions, and one type liking negative ions. Most of us have a fairly balanced mix in our water so we use mixed resin. Some folks run two mixed stages to get everything out they can. If need be you can add another stage before the mixed to catch a specific positive/negative type based on what is in your water.

For a reference, I think the guys at BRS use 7 stages: sediment, 2 carbon, RO membrane, cation DI, anion DI, mixed resin DI.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.
Thanks makes bit more sense so really for me to use well water and not have any issue my ro system isn’t suitable for well water as it’s only v2 pure 50 only has 3 chambers.
I was thinking I needed to get a booster and then use the ro into a brute then I would be good to mix but sounds like the water needs to treated more from gas and ions before mixing salt and using for top up water

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use your RO system for well water. Just get a DI system from BRS, spectrapure or somewhere else and run the RO product water line to that system then out. Note that this water will be no good for drinking so if you are using your RO water for drinking (I suspect that is what it your system is designed for) then split the RO product line so you can still get your drinking water without stripping it of all ions.

You may not need to de-gas CO2. My well water is good so it goes straight through the system. Only one way to find out.

Also, depending on the quality of your well water, RO may be good enough--especially if you don't plan to keep SPS or other hard to keep critters. The only problem with that is that quality may vary throughout the year adding variability to your nutrient/mineral levels.

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a photo or your di resin set up just so I got a better idea of what I will need to get and do
Its plumbed under the bathroom sink. BRS 4 stage 100gph. Witha booster. RO Buddie I think it's called. Easier to set up than it seems dont let all the tubes fool you.
20240109_100209.jpg
20240109_100213.jpg
20240109_100221.jpg

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"well water" really only tells us that the water comes out of a well - out of the ground. It says nothing about the quality of the water. Some well water is fantastic, some is not.

If your house is fed by a private well, I'd recommend you test a broad range of analytes at least once, and do bacterial tests at least annually. You may be able to get the bacterial testing done free of charge at your local health department.

Russ

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 70 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.9%
Back