Can ICH stay in tank for years?

gators94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ich outbreak about a year and half ago and lost some fish.I didn’t add anymore after that and all of the fish I have today are ones that survived that. I recently upgraded to a larger tank and would like to add more fish. I added one this past week and it broke out with ich very quickly. All my fish that I’ve had for years are fine. Are they just immune? What is the best way to introduce new fish at this point.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had an ich outbreak about a year and half ago and lost some fish.I didn’t add anymore after that and all of the fish I have today are ones that survived that. I recently upgraded to a larger tank and would like to add more fish. I added one this past week and it broke out with ich very quickly. All my fish that I’ve had for years are fine. Are they just immune? What is the best way to introduce new fish at this point.
Certain stressors will allow fish immune system to weaken and in turn be overtaken by parasites. Are you sure its ich and not sand or lymphocystis ? (pics under white light helpful)
Acclimation is very important step even when transferring from tank to tank. If ich has surfaced in the new tank, you will want to use old tank as temporary quarantine and leave new one fishless for 6-8 weeks to break life cycle of any trophants that are present

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain stressors will allow fish immune system to weaken and in turn be overtaken by parasites. Are you sure its ich and not sand or lymphocystis ? (pics under white light helpful)
Acclimation is very important step even when transferring from tank to tank. If ich has surfaced in the new tank, you will want to use old tank as temporary quarantine and leave new one fishless for 6-8 weeks to break life cycle of any trophants that are present
You’ve helped me before in the past on my posts, can you check out my latest question about adding my shrimp back to my tank, sorry to crash the original poster hope all goes well and you find your solution!

OP
OP
G

gators94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! There were white spots all over but I didn’t get a pic of it. It died after a couple days. The old tank is already broken down and sold so i don’t have anything I can move them all to. Is it possible that it stayed in the tank that long and my fish are just immune? Is there a safe method to making new fish immune?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the info! There were white spots all over but I didn’t get a pic of it. It died after a couple days. The old tank is already broken down and sold so i don’t have anything I can move them all to. Is it possible that it stayed in the tank that long and my fish are just immune? Is there a safe method to making new fish immune?
For immunity, Good water quality and diet will alwats boost immune system as will adding vitamins such as selcon liquid to the foods

OP
OP
G

gators94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem now is it will be very difficult to remove all the fish and I won’t have anything big enough to qt them in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is copper power the best copper to quarantine new fish with?
I use coppersafe, but the two products are very similar. Copper power is dosed a bit lower as per label directions, so many people end up dosing it at 2.5 ppm, same as coppersafe.
Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coppersafe, but the two products are very similar. Copper power is dosed a bit lower as per label directions, so many people end up dosing it at 2.5 ppm, same as coppersafe.
Jay
Actually, the Copper Power bottle now also instructs dosage to be 2.5ppm. I purchased the bottle I have two years ago.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 64 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back