Can inverts carry ich/velet

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my local Petco (usually never buy anything from them) is having a sale on snails and hermits (some are 5 for 5) and was wondering if i would have to QT them or if they could bring ich/velet/brook with them?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my local Petco (usually never buy anything from them) is having a sale on snails and hermits (some are 5 for 5) and was wondering if i would have to QT them or if they could bring ich/velet/brook with them?
Ich/velvet tomonts can encyst upon the shell of snails and crabs. So they should be held in a fish-less system for 76 days if you want to make sure you don't introduce any parasites to your existing system.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read they can carry ich and velvet in the tormont stage. So after a freshwater dip my understanding is that it will be okay

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure on velvet but ich yes
ich has 3 stages, host, free swiming and egg. the egg stage can host on snails or anything else hard.

the qt period i think needs to be 16 day or 26 days. someone else can help with that

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich/velvet tomonts can encyst upon the shell of snails and crabs. So they should be held in a fish-less system for 76 days if you want to make sure you don't introduce any parasites to your existing system.

Thank you, wasnt the answer I wanted but its what i needed. Dont want to lose any of my fish
especially with my lion, as it going through a weird stage (may have to qt him)

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this a reef tank or fish only tank

also your suppose to qt before you add the fish to your main tank not after :)

its a reef tank and he was QT, was eating very well and then a few days ago he started acting weird like having trouble swimming getting thrown around by the wave maker tumbling. He appears to be eating again and acting normal

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back