can only one fish affected by ammonia?

Fishday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thanks for reading.

My yellow wrasse just died RIP.

symptoms point to ammonia poisoning judging from experience, but others are doing great.

I'm worried if they're in danger too, and wondering if one species can be that extremely sensitive to the point of death while others are very healthy.

one thing to note was she was under very heavy constant attack by my blue hippo tang whos about 3 times bigger. can bullying cause ammonia death?? or maybe spinal cord injury and suffocation? I've heard wrasses have spinal injury fairly often and he was swimming weird about 2-3 hrs before death

FYI Symptoms

1. laying on side or upside down at bottom, body slow turning over; lacking maneuver
2. before dying, gasping for air at the surface or some kind of dashes due to suffocation dunno like seizures
3. blood under part of body
4. very heavy breathing
5. fins missing

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
USUALLY - all fish will show symptoms. I think you probably answered your own question though - with the constant bullying you describe. I would carefully watch your fish for any other evidence of disease.

Additionally, there are some fish that tolerate ammonia better than others. Did you happen to check your ammonia level?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back