Can oolite sand stay cleaner?

CoastieFlo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2021
Messages
132
Reaction score
149
Location
Monterey
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,

I’m resetting my old Red Sea e-170 to become a low flow softy / LPS tank. I put some good ol’ bahama oolite in there, cranked the flow down a bit and enjoyed the subtle sand shifting as it cycles.

Watching this sand drifting motion it made me wonder…would it keep whiter due to this slow shifting? I have it about 1-1/2 - 2 inches thick.

Is there any reefer out there who has had ever had a good experience with oolite?
 
Generally, it'll keep shifting and blowing around until it shows bare spots underneath. Yeah, it'll likely look a bit cleaner but you have to keep shoveling it back into place. If it weren't for that the oolite would be really popular.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new