Can palys bother leather/toadstool?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,750
Reaction score
33,756
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this leather for years and it always taken long spells unhappy, I assume shedding. The spells are getting longer and it's looking pretty rough. The brown isn't blowing off. I'm wondering if the palys behind it could be bothering it? There's a couple of inches apart. I'm thinking if it were the palys it would be on that edge not cause the entire leather to look this bad. It's attached to several rocks including the one the palys are in so relocating to see if it perks up isn't really an option. I can pluck some plays but don't want to bother if if it isn't going to make me a difference. Opinions?

Forgot the pic.
PXL_20261008_231133229.jpg
 
Hmmm.

Are you running any charcoal?
Can you add more directional flow?
You can always chop it, that what I would if other interventions don't work.

It would not surprise me in the least that the palys are responsible. Sacrophyton use chemical warfare as well.
 
I have several large leathers and a few smaller, hard to find leathers and big colonies of zoas/palys. Some even touch and I have no issues.
You could run carbon but I doubt it’s the palys affecting it.
I’ve had a toadstool that sulked for about a month, brown on top, didn’t blow off or brush off. It opened up one day and has been fine since.
 
Is that monti climbing the glass in the back, thats so cool! I want to try it too.
If the pally's are causing an issue I figure the pally's would also affect the monti and the monti looks good
 
Hmmm.

Are you running any charcoal?
Can you add more directional flow?
You can always chop it, that what I would if other interventions don't work.

It would not surprise me in the least that the palys are responsible. Sacrophyton use chemical warfare as well.
I don't run carbon. Never have because I have 9 tangs in the tank, a couple 9 and 10 years old so I don't want to risk it. I was thinking of adding a powerhead aimed at the leather, it has always appreciated high flow and is getting a bit less now that I've changed all the in tank flow a month or so ago. I think I'll get my the forceps out and removed some of the palys near the leather while I'm in there.

I have several large leathers and a few smaller, hard to find leathers and big colonies of zoas/palys. Some even touch and I have no issues.
You could run carbon but I doubt it’s the palys affecting it.
I’ve had a toadstool that sulked for about a month, brown on top, didn’t blow off or brush off. It opened up one day and has been fine since.
That sounds just like this one. It's sulks more often and for longer periods the older/ larger it gets. It has stayed closed for a month before like yours. It's probably the poutiest (?) coral I have. I'll give it more flow and keep an eye on it.
Is that monti climbing the glass in the back, thats so cool! I want to try it too.
If the pally's are causing an issue I figure the pally's would also affect the monti and the monti looks good
Green monti cap. The palys do bother the monti but only at the edge where they touch which I expected. I had the big piece and didn't know what to do with it so I leaned it against the back and it started growing.
I have gsp growing on the other side and am waiting to see what happens when they meet in the middle.
I'm thinking of adding a piece of orange somewhere on the back since I have plenty and have been looking for some purple also. I think it would be cool to have a back wall covered in different monticaps. It's an 84" tank tho so there a lot of back wall to cover lol
Crappy pic showing the monti and GSP . Need to get a recent FTS


PXL_20260912_011354633.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 33.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new