Can pistol shrimp snap your finger???

  • Thread starter Thread starter vlangel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2014
Messages
8,087
Reaction score
10,159
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a pistol shrimp that is paired with a curly que anemone. Originally they denned in a roomier area of my tank but recently they relocated. Now they are in a spot that is much closer to the glass. It just so happens to be the front glass, (which is great for viewing) but I am wondering if my fingers are at risk when I am cleaning that glass?
 
It might hurt depending on the size especially but its not going to break open your skin. Now if it was a mantis shrimp I'd tell you to keep your fingers away for sure
 
[video=youtube;XC6I8iPiHT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC6I8iPiHT8[/video]
 
Thanks swine. Yes, I've seen that video! It not only makes me protective of my digits but I was horrified because I have a darling cleaner shrimp named Jacque!
 
Now I don't know how comparable your pistol shrimp is to that one but that video is sweet!
 
Worked in a tank hundreds of times, dug a couple pistols up and I have never been snapped.
 
I had a cleaner shrimp on the other side of the tank. My pistol never bothered it. Now my peppermint shrimp disappeared and I'm sure it was the pistol. They won't hurt you.
 
Worked in a tank hundreds of times, dug a couple pistols up and I have never been snapped.

That is very comforting. I will clean my glass without fear now. I will still respect the pistol shrimp's den though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new