Can RODI remove petroleum?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we happen to live somewhere (in the US) where there is currently a semi- substantiated report that a unknown petroleum derivative has entered the municipal water supply.

Would 4 stage + DI stage make the water good enough for top off?

I happened to have 14 gallons or so on hand before the leak reached the water supply. I have sent shut off my RODI to prevent it for making any new water into the reservoirs. But the 14 gallons will only last me about 3 weeks tops

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an answer for you, but if you ever do confirm it's in your water, you could try leaving a (clear) container of tap water as well as a clear container of RODI out for a day or so and see what happens. If there's some type of liquid petroleum in the water, it should float to the top and you should be able to see it. If you can see it there and not in the RODI, and even better if you have a TDS of 0, I'd think you're in the clear.
Unless you can find some type of test that not only shows a negative on the RODI, but a positive on the tap, so you know the test works with what your issue is, I think this might be hard to know for sure.
You might be able to take a sample of tap and RODI to your local municipality and have them test it.

Beyond that, it might be worth picking up a couple of buckets of RODI from your LFS so you have more than 3 weeks worth on hand, at least until you figure out what's going on.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an answer for you, but if you ever do confirm it's in your water, you could try leaving a (clear) container of tap water as well as a clear container of RODI out for a day or so and see what happens. If there's some type of liquid petroleum in the water, it should float to the top and you should be able to see it. If you can see it there and not in the RODI, and even better if you have a TDS of 0, I'd think you're in the clear.
Unless you can find some type of test that not only shows a negative on the RODI, but a positive on the tap, so you know the test works with what your issue is, I think this might be hard to know for sure.
You might be able to take a sample of tap and RODI to your local municipality and have them test it.

Beyond that, it might be worth picking up a couple of buckets of RODI from your LFS so you have more than 3 weeks worth on hand, at least until you figure out what's going on.
@Joe31415 - Yours is a great answer and I hope solves the problem! Excellent insight into the solution!!!

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately the LFS does not sell RODI. distilled bottled is about the best I can do.

Local municipality wants nothing to do with civilians rights now as they're busy trying to figure out what's going on / mitigate whatever may be the issue.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we happen to live somewhere (in the US) where there is currently a semi- substantiated report that a unknown petroleum derivative has entered the municipal water supply.

Would 4 stage + DI stage make the water good enough for top off?

I happened to have 14 gallons or so on hand before the leak reached the water supply. I have sent shut off my RODI to prevent it for making any new water into the reservoirs. But the 14 gallons will only last me about 3 weeks tops
I would not count on the RO system to remove the contamination. You might have to stock up on distilled water until the water supply issue is resolved. Could you set up your RO unit at a friends house in a nearby city with a different water supply?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petroleum is a wide range of chemicals, from methane (which will get through an RO/DI) to larger organics that won't.

I think in general, most components that would be a concern are large enough that the RO membrane will knock them down significantly.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back