Can someone help ID this spot? (scar, or fungus)

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the attached picture is one of two ORA file fisk I have in my DT. I purchased them together and ran them through QT in the same TTM process. While in the TTM cycle, I noticed this spot, which seemed to appear between observations one day. At the time, I thought it was a bite wound from the other filefish since the other larger one would occasionally nip this one during feeding.

The spot was/is proportional to the size of the fish and has never spread since I noticed it months ago. Meaning - When the fish was smaller the spot was small, but as the fish grew the spot has grown proportionally to the size of the fish. The fish has never appeared sick and eats very well and is now the same size as its tankmate. This morning I was able to capture the attached picture while the fish was close to the glass and facing the right way. Getting a closer look, I'm not sure it's a scare or some type of fungal infection.

Can someone help me determine if it's a scare or not? If not, what is it and how can I treat it?

IMG_1283.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that appears to be some sort of an infection. For infections on the face area I like to use Sulfaplex + Neoplex. Makes me nervous to see it getting that close to the eye. Sometimes the fish will lose the sight in the eye from these types of infections. Treat as soon as possible.

OP
OP
Jeff_H

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary, Thanks for the quick response. So do you dose both medications at the same time or one than the other?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Jeff. Normally I would suggest using the Sulfaplex first by itself. But that worrisome area is so close to the fish's eye, I'd consider dosing them both at the same time to make sure we are covering all the possible benefits of using both of these wide spectrum antibiotics. Just remember, antibiotics are very slow acting on fish. They don't actually cure/kill of disease, they help the fish's immune system to help itself. So give them 10-14 days of treatment time to do their work.

OP
OP
Jeff_H

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Jeff. Normally I would suggest using the Sulfaplex first by itself. But that worrisome area is so close to the fish's eye, I'd consider dosing them both at the same time to make sure we are covering all the possible benefits of using both of these wide spectrum antibiotics. Just remember, antibiotics are very slow acting on fish. They don't actually cure/kill of disease, they help the fish's immune system to help itself. So give them 10-14 days of treatment time to do their work.[/QUOTE

Gary, thanks again! I will try to pick up the meds today or get them on order through Amazon if the LFS doesn't have them in stock. The challenging part will be trying to catch the fish so I can move it to the HT.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try catching it a night when the lights are off after a couple of hours of darkness in the room. Use a small flashlight. Shine it at the fish's face. It will mesmerize the fish - usually. Making it easy to net the fish.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back