ECD49FE3-578D-4789-9739-950D834964CD.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so, fairly malnourished...
I’ve only just managed to see the photo properly and agree, the fact you can see the spine and what looks like it may be pinching behind the head.

Also, for the OP, I say it’s a blochii due to the tail and the main body colouring. Here’s a photo of what appears to be another young blochii in captivity from just a quick search. Yours shows that ‘ring’ of white just before the caudal fin but also there is a faint yellow colour from the pectoral fins.
16BC9585-A2EB-4680-96CD-7362F04C1BA5.jpeg

I will say it’s rather hard finding a perfect match as Acanthurus blochii goes through many colour phases throughout the day, through a quick search you’ll find really pale adults but then you’ll also find really dark adults or some with bright blue fins - which I have seen in captivity before and yours also seems to show somewhat of a blue caudal fin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Blochi Tang and thin for any tang. Not sure what foods you are feeding it but its a herbivore and requires vegetation and meats- Not a flake and Pellet foods
Some foods to offer are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blochi Tang and thin for any tang. Not sure what foods you are feeding it but its a herbivore and requires vegetation and meats- Not a flake and Pellet foods
Some foods to offer are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally
Thanks for the reply! And I did notice it was thin after adding it to the tank. My current foods I feed are nori seaweed(once a day), frozen mysis, frozen brine about 2 times a day. I have garlic extract should I soak the seaweed in it before adding it to the tank? Also I’ll look into the other foods you listed and try get them as soon as possible.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the reply! And I did notice it was thin after adding it to the tank. My current foods I feed are nori seaweed(once a day), frozen mysis, frozen brine about 2 times a day. I have garlic extract should I soak the seaweed in it before adding it to the tank? Also I’ll look into the other foods you listed and try get them as soon as possible.
No need to soak- just lightly baste it.
The list you have in inadequate for tangs. I have 20 and just set up 400g over the weekend and will add another 6 or so

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting.
Power feed that fish, and please update us with pictures in a few months. I'm curious how it will look. Personally, I know tangs well, but there's a handful of Acanthurus that I have trouble IDing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting.
Power feed that fish, and please update us with pictures in a few months. I'm curious how it will look. Personally, I know tangs well, but there's a handful of Acanthurus that I have trouble IDing.
Its the same over here, I assume blochii is one of the ones you struggle with?

I have found it’s main characteristic is the white band just before the caudal fin and then that edges the caudal fin in white - this specimen doesn’t show the ring of white around the caudal too well but it does show the white band before the caudal.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume blochii is one of the ones you struggle with?
Yes, along with Thompson and a couple others that look the same as juvies.

There's also a group of 3 (I think) including dussumieri that look alike as juvies.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, along with Thompson and a couple others that look the same as juvies.

There's also a group of 3 (I think) including dussumieri that look alike as juvies.
Yeah, I believe that Blochii is one that can look similar to juvenile Dussumieri and I think the last one that looks similar is the Fowleri. Each one shows the traits of the adults however they are slightly more hidden - especially on the fowleri.

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to soak- just lightly baste it.
The list you have in inadequate for tangs. I have 20 and just set up 400g over the weekend and will add another 6 or so
Thanks for posting.
Will do I will keep you all updated in a couple of months thanks for all your help and could it be a blochii and doctor tang? after it settled in the tank more I noticed it has black stripes similar to the ones found on doctor tangs.

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only just managed to see the photo properly and agree, the fact you can see the spine and what looks like it may be pinching behind the head.

Also, for the OP, I say it’s a blochii due to the tail and the main body colouring. Here’s a photo of what appears to be another young blochii in captivity from just a quick search. Yours shows that ‘ring’ of white just before the caudal fin but also there is a faint yellow colour from the pectoral fins.
16BC9585-A2EB-4680-96CD-7362F04C1BA5.jpeg

I will say it’s rather hard finding a perfect match as Acanthurus blochii goes through many colour phases throughout the day, through a quick search you’ll find really pale adults but then you’ll also find really dark adults or some with bright blue fins - which I have seen in captivity before and yours also seems to show somewhat of a blue caudal fin.
oooh I see also I've been reading that they change color based off of stress and to communicate with others.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting.
A7F53069-1911-49A6-A561-D62D3770D0E4.jpeg

It’s been close to a month and so far he’s been getting more active and its stomach is looking way better than before. Thank you all for the advice

Attachments

• 0EC8D46C-2F89-498F-BCC0-1EDBA71854B2.jpeg
    0EC8D46C-2F89-498F-BCC0-1EDBA71854B2.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 28

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7F53069-1911-49A6-A561-D62D3770D0E4.jpeg

It’s been close to a month and so far he’s been getting more active and its stomach is looking way better than before. Thank you all for the advice
Seeing it coloured up, I’m pretty sure it’s actually an Acanthurus chirurgus - The Doctorfish Tang.
These are another that when they’re not coloured up they can look similar to Blochii.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back