Tang addition help requested

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tomini Tang on order from Dr. Reef with a diamond Watchman goby for the sand and a Springerii damsel for some activity.

I want to also add a biota yellow tang at some point, but this might be the best time.

DT is a 4'X2'X2' waterbox (Infinia 150.4) with a One spot Foxface, Midas blenny, ocellaris pair, and a royal gramma, and plenty of rock. Tank is 6 months old and I am going through a gha stage (for a different thread). I also have a cycled 29g tank for QT ready to go.

What are your recommendations to minimize tangs being tangs? When I have notice from Dr. Reef on a delivery date for the Tomini & friends, should I order a Biota yellow tang and throw them both in the QT for observation for a couple of weeks? Perhaps if there is some tang-tang aggression, move the loser into the DT and wait at least a couple of days to add the bully.

The fox face bullies the gramma but is afraid of its own shadow. Do you recommend an acclimation box in the DT?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the tangs in at the same time. Once together as juveniles they will be friends.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs in the Ctenochaetus genus (tomini and cousins) sometimes hate diamond gobies.

A tomini and yellow in a 4ft 120 is a bit of a gamble, but possibly okay. I would not add a tomini to an established yellow, but the other way around would be safer. Adding at the same time isn't a bad idea.

If you are spending money ordering from Dr Reef and buying a captive YT from Biota, I wouldn't QT them together in a 29 gallon. I would just add them to the display. Now, if you end up with a bigger tomini and the yellow comes in really small, I might use the 29 as a grow out tank.

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just poked around and it seems Bristletooths have a thing for gobies.

I really wanted a sand bed cleaner, and at least one tang….guess I’ll see if I can cancel the goby order in favor of a wrasse of some sort. Maybe a flasher of some sort. Or is that a thing, too?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh, there’s always something to worry about. Had no idea this was a thing.

So does the Tomini eventually end up killing the goby? Maybe…..
My story there is that I had a kole (before Hawaii ban, obviously) chase and chase a diamond goby until it jumped out. You may be okay, I just like to warn people.

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warning. Hopefully getting them young with another tang (acknowledging your caution about tank size), will let them get accustomed to each other. I am trying to avoid drama and was hoping that the fact they are so different in diet and shape would count for something. Honestly, I am more worried about the foxface.

Maybe I should just stick with the Tomini and not get the yellow, due to tank size, since I already have a foxface.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just poked around and it seems Bristletooths have a thing for gobies.

I really wanted a sand bed cleaner, and at least one tang….guess I’ll see if I can cancel the goby order in favor of a wrasse of some sort. Maybe a flasher of some sort. Or is that a thing, too?
At least some gobies, and maybe it's only the sand sifters. I've kept a truncated tang with a yellow watchman and a kole with a pink spot watchman.

My tomini and lawnmower blenny lived together in my 125 for a few years, until the blenny eventually aged out. But, they did not like each other. The tomini would chase the blenny, and suspiciously LMB-mouth-shaped marks would show up on the tomini's sides. The 125 was just big enough that they coexisted.

My tangs have ignored wrasses...like they don't even see each other. YMMV, of course.

For cleaners, don't ignore inverts. Conches are an option in a 120, for example. Big, Mexican and zebra turbo snails too.

Thanks for the warning. Hopefully getting them young with another tang (acknowledging your caution about tank size), will let them get accustomed to each other. I am trying to avoid drama and was hoping that the fact they are so different in diet and shape would count for something. Honestly, I am more worried about the foxface.

Maybe I should just stick with the Tomini and not get the yellow, due to tank size, since I already have a foxface.
Foxfaces, in my experience, have been gentle giants. Now, if a tang picks a fight, a foxface will point its dorsal spines in that direction, and that seems to be the end of it.

It's up to you on the yellow and tomini. My scopas and tomini have been together in my 125 for quite a while...7 years so far, maybe?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tomini Tang on order from Dr. Reef with a diamond Watchman goby for the sand and a Springerii damsel for some activity.

I want to also add a biota yellow tang at some point, but this might be the best time.

DT is a 4'X2'X2' waterbox (Infinia 150.4) with a One spot Foxface, Midas blenny, ocellaris pair, and a royal gramma, and plenty of rock. Tank is 6 months old and I am going through a gha stage (for a different thread). I also have a cycled 29g tank for QT ready to go.

What are your recommendations to minimize tangs being tangs? When I have notice from Dr. Reef on a delivery date for the Tomini & friends, should I order a Biota yellow tang and throw them both in the QT for observation for a couple of weeks? Perhaps if there is some tang-tang aggression, move the loser into the DT and wait at least a couple of days to add the bully.

The fox face bullies the gramma but is afraid of its own shadow. Do you recommend an acclimation box in the DT?
A 6 month old tank is too young for a Diamond Goby IMO. They usually starve out after sifting through sand and decimating all the. Nutrients from the sand bed.

A 4’ tank is too small for 2 tangs especially once you have the tomini in there. The Ctenochaetus genus is one of the least active yet when you see how much they swim in even just a 4’ tank it does make you wonder if a yellow would be alright in there with other tangs.

The Foxface isn’t an issue, mine tends to go between fish when they’re being aggressive towards each other. Especially when the tang is going at someone.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank size and have a one spot foxface, a kole tang and a yellow tang. The yellow tang was added last, as an adult, so it was fine. A little bit of quarreling at first but not much.

I sometimes wonder if I might rehome the yellow tang. If I see it become restless or look unhappy, I will. So far so good but it’s only been a few months. At least the yellow is fully grown.

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6 month old tank is too young for a Diamond Goby IMO. They usually starve out after sifting through sand and decimating all the. Nutrients from the sand bed.

A 4’ tank is too small for 2 tangs especially once you have the tomini in there. The Ctenochaetus genus is one of the least active yet when you see how much they swim in even just a 4’ tank it does make you wonder if a yellow would be alright in there with other tangs.
Tangs. I think I’ll skip the yellow.

Wasn’t aware of the goby issue, as I understand they also eat sinking pellets. I thought that was mostly an issue with mandarins. It is sometimes had to tell if the people who sell fish are just saying something to sell fish. Fwiw, the tank has been up for 6 months, but the sand and rocks, and some corals have been in a tank with added pods for 10 months or so (still wouldn’t be enough for a mandarin, so should I use the same standard for the DWG?).

But that plus the potential for tang aggression is another reason to skip the goby. I need to figure out a replacement and call Dr reef before the order progresses.

Any ideas? Again I have a foxface, ocellaris pair, midas blenny, royal gramma, and a tomini and springerii damsel on order. Know of a good wrasse that dr reef sells that is not too pricey (mccoskers/carpenter??). Any other suggestions?I originally wanted a melanarus, but heard they are a bit destructive when older. Don’t want a six line, heard they are jerks.

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw this is a mixed reef with high-ish flow up top, so I am concerned about adding some of the slower fish like cardinals and tilefish. The clowns seem fine. Is there a hardy anthia ( single)?

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just asked dr reef if they could switch the goby for a male orangeback or exquisite wrasse if the orangeback is too difficult to get. Both seem to get to a nice size, seem hardy and active.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back