Can someone identify this tang pls

  • Thread starter Thread starter MattyH
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MattyH

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2025
Messages
27
Reaction score
14
Location
VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was labeled as just bristle tooth tang when I got him. He hasn’t changed in color at all since I got him. What do yall think?
20250913_192432_42931106-23CC-4A34-AA25-79647051E549.png

20250913_192432_7DEBC272-1873-40C3-9DB3-1E03DA991C2B.png

20250913_192432_D7BED8B8-900A-4DAA-8610-1C66337E0B45.png
 
Kinda looks like a maculiceps but that is an acanthurus, not a bristletooth.
Are you serious🥹I love this guy, I thought I could keep him long term in my 90 gallon.
 
Definitely a Ctenochaetus (Bristletooth) and not a Chevron or Striatus which get significantly larger. I think you’ll be fine with it in a 90.

I’m seeing it’s likely a Cyanocheilus or a smaller Binotatus but I’m not the expert.
 
Definitely a Ctenochaetus (Bristletooth) and not a Chevron or Striatus which get significantly larger. I think you’ll be fine with it in a 90.

I’m seeing it’s likely a Cyanocheilus or a smaller Binotatus but I’m not the expert.
Thank you so much!
 
After seeing the video, I would have to agree - blue lipped bristletooth (Ctenochaetus Cyanocheilus).

Get some good food and plenty of swimming space and rock work, for hiding, and I believe the colors will intensify as it gets comfortable and well nourished.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new