Can velvet be dropped off so quickly and be visible?

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost other three anthias. They are dropping like flys...They just started to lose their stand and laying side ways let blown by flow. Couldn't see any visible symptom, nor flukes after FW dip for the body.

Coppersafe is at 2 ppm for almost a day. Will dose metro again if needed.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it could be velvet and brook, based on how fast it’s killing..

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. I have three Anithas left. It is from 9 down to 3 now. Big loss. Haven't treated copper nor Prazi prior to the outbreak last week since I was treating with bacterial infection at the moment.

Coppersafe is at 2 ppm hair over now, it is currently at 7 days mark. I did 2 dosage of Prazi with 6 days apart.

The first dosage is Prazipro. I did half WC at around 20 hours mark.

The second dosage is API General Cure. Did half WC at 24 hours mark.

I am still seeing one Anthias rubbing his gill at bottom of QT yesterday. Didn't have time to check them today. Hope I didn't mess up with my first Prazi dosage (doing WC less than 24 hours).

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I didn't mess up with my first Prazi dosage (doing WC less than 24 hours).

In reality, prazi only needs an hour or two to work it's magic. This is how some places get away with just doing Prazipro baths, except they often will put the fish right back in an infected tank. o_O The mfg of Prazipro recommends 72 hour treatments out of an abundance of caution, but I personally feel 24 hrs exposure time is good enough to cover most contingencies (some strains of flukes can be resistant to prazi.)

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reality, prazi only needs an hour or two to work it's magic. This is how some places get away with just doing Prazipro baths, except they often will put the fish right back in an infected tank. o_O The mfg of Prazipro recommends 72 hour treatments out of an abundance of caution, but I personally feel 24 hrs exposure time is good enough to cover most contingencies (some strains of flukes can be resistant to prazi.)

Then that means the rubbing may not be fluke at all...Or maybe there is a prazi resistant fluke that I am dealing with.
From my previous coppersafe experience I stopped seeing flashing rubbing in 7 days mark, the ich dots on body disappeared within 7 days too. I remembered I still seeing a dot/bump or two on one of my anthias yesterday. I will check carefully for their behavior when I get out off work today.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then that means the rubbing may not be fluke at all...Or maybe there is a prazi resistant fluke that I am dealing with.
From my previous coppersafe experience I stopped seeing flashing rubbing in 7 days mark, the ich dots on body disappeared within 7 days too. I remembered I still seeing a dot/bump or two on one of my anthias yesterday. I will check carefully for their behavior when I get out off work today.

Remember, just because the pathogen is gone does not mean rubbing will suddenly cease. Parasites/worms feed on a fish and the damage they inflict remains even after they are gone. As new skin/scales grow in I suspect it creates an itching sensation akin to when you are recovering from a sunburn.

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, just because the pathogen is gone does not mean rubbing will suddenly cease. Parasites/worms feed on a fish and the damage they inflict remains even after they are gone. As new skin/scales grow in I suspect it creates an itching sensation akin to when you are recovering from a sunburn.
Thanks humble for the clarification!

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get this from LIve Aquaria? I had a WT bristle tooth come in with a bad case of velvet. His colors were very pale. I used CP and he cleared up in a day.

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW...I tried coppersafe at first per my normal routine, but it did not seem to have a huge impact. However it did keep the fish alive. After two weeks, I switched to CP and after a day the tang started being much less reclusive which deeper color.

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. WT bristle tooth was from LivAquaria (Not Diver's Den). I got him at 09/29. I didn't see any sign of ich or velvet. He was super fat and healthy. He was with my other group of anthias in QT, so I decided to treat with bacterial infection first. Super sad of losing him.

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are from the same batch, mine was delivered on 9/30.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back