Can we speed up the uglies phase?

NaturalBrnHeathen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the uglies are a path each tank will follow, is there a way to speed up the process? I'm thinking, if we don't fight it but let it run it's course, we might reach tank maturity sooner. Is this a naive thought?

- 1 month old reefer

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank most likely just needs microbial diversity. Not all tanks get a very bad ugly phase. Much of it is dependent on how the tank was set up and how the "stage" was set. If you add competition for algaes (via other algaes or bacteria), you typically don't get one algae running the show.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the uglies are a path each tank will follow, is there a way to speed up the process? I'm thinking, if we don't fight it but let it run it's course, we might reach tank maturity sooner. Is this a naive thought?

- 1 month old reefer
Patience is the best thing to do. Let it run it’s course. The uglies can refer to many different microbes all fighting to take hold. I’d not go doing anything drastic like taking lights off line, adding in lots of chemicals, big water changes. I’d avoid buying any high end corals at this time as well. With good husbandry, your tank will stabilize eventually

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only POSSIBLE option i can think of is if you can get a legitimate diver sourced real live rock and dump that into your system, or if you live near a clean beach, go scoop up some real sand. It will most likely throw your system into an even wackier state of imbalance and a bigger "war of the nutrient competition". But if you don't have any sensitives that's at risk of collateral damage for being caught in the crossfires, then this will at least accelerate the growth in biodiversity.

OP
OP
N

NaturalBrnHeathen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time @ScottR @Dkmoo

I was thinking, along the lines of let me run em lights full on, let that algae & diatoms grow, let whatever that's feeding them exhaust itself. Naive of me to think like such I guess cause I read "microbial diversity" & "nutrient competition" in the responses - and it makes perfect sense.

So now the question is - what constitutes microbial diversity? Is it just the usual ones that follow the cycling path NH3 >> NO2 >> NO3. Or are we talking about diversity like CUC's, bottled bacteria, hitchhikers from live rock & such.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with all the Folks posting the fact that there is no quick or silver bullet to TANK AGING.

We all hate the Tank Aging uglies (Early, mid term, or events) , but if you looked or understood the biological process and change of events, you would see the Beauty of Mother Nature and Biology.

When you mess with the natural process of life, life will get out of whack, and that can mean even more ugly, and tougher to solve.

I've seen my 20 year old tank go thru some serious uglies and ugly waves at 1, 2, 5, 9, 13, 19 years. Each time it recovered and became stronger and more resiliant. Recovered faster and stayed stable longer each time. Also Each time it took less effort to maintain pristine quality till the next Ugly event.

The only thing you can do to Help Mother Nature is regular routine Tank Husbandry, with the goal being (Stability and Minimal Disruption).

Certain outbreaks, like bubble Algae, or a Aptasia Plage can be dealt with help from certain clean up crews, or a targeting fish.

For general outbreak like slime Alage/Cyano, they may pass with time. When it takes too long and filtration/water is well kept, adding healthy bacteria can help.

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was thinking, along the lines of let me run em lights full on, let that algae & diatoms grow, let whatever that's feeding them exhaust itself. Naive of me to think like such I guess cause I read "microbial diversity" & "nutrient competition" in the responses - and it makes perfect sense.

So now the question is - what constitutes microbial diversity? Is it just the usual ones that follow the cycling path NH3 >> NO2 >> NO3. Or are we talking about diversity like CUC's, bottled bacteria, hitchhikers from live rock & such.
I always cycle my tank with lights on because eventually you’ll turn them on anyway. For diversity, there are many strains of bacteria, algae, and other micro fauna that will make their way into our tanks. If you’re using a complete dry rock start with bottled bacteria, there isn’t much competition and usually some type of ugly algae can take hold. It’s common to see something like a brown dusting of diatoms that seem to drive most newer reefers crazy.

For me, I keep my rocks from previous tanks and add them to my new start ups to keep whatever bacteria and other things are growing on it. Worms, pods, sponges, coralline and so forth. They do help to skip over the ugly stage or avoid it largely. In our tanks (and the ocean), every creature is fighting to be king. So keeping biodiversity allows them to compete with each other.

Adding in corals from other peoples tanks will start to add more biodiversity even if you dip them which I highly recommend. But useful things like coralline algae can come in. Beneficial bacteria. But also pests can be added in. But this is the “fun” part of the hobby, so to speak.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always cycle my tank with lights on because eventually you’ll turn them on anyway. For diversity, there are many strains of bacteria, algae, and other micro fauna that will make their way into our tanks. If you’re using a complete dry rock start with bottled bacteria, there isn’t much competition and usually some type of ugly algae can take hold. It’s common to see something like a brown dusting of diatoms that seem to drive most newer reefers crazy.

For me, I keep my rocks from previous tanks and add them to my new start ups to keep whatever bacteria and other things are growing on it. Worms, pods, sponges, coralline and so forth. They do help to skip over the ugly stage or avoid it largely. In our tanks (and the ocean), every creature is fighting to be king. So keeping biodiversity allows them to compete with each other.

Adding in corals from other peoples tanks will start to add more biodiversity even if you dip them which I highly recommend. But useful things like coralline algae can come in. Beneficial bacteria. But also pests can be added in. But this is the “fun” part of the hobby, so to speak.
I'm on day 2 of my first lights off/dry rock/bottled bacteria cycle. Fingers crossed my uglies are minimal!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 2 of my first lights off/dry rock/bottled bacteria cycle. Fingers crossed my uglies are minimal!
All I’ll say is don’t expect everything to be beautiful or look good for a good period of time. I’ve started countless tanks and do tank maintenance part-time. As soon as someone sees brown on the rocks or sand, they call me freaking out. Just ride it out and don’t buy any expensive corals until you’re sure your tank is stable.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I’ll say is don’t expect everything to be beautiful or look good for a good period of time. I’ve started countless tanks and do tank maintenance part-time. As soon as someone sees brown on the rocks or sand, they call me freaking out. Just ride it out and don’t buy any expensive corals until you’re sure your tank is stable.
Definitely! My New Year's Resolution.....Patience! I'm in this for the long haul and not expecting overnight success!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely! My New Year's Resolution.....Patience! I'm in this for the long haul and not expecting overnight success!
My advice is take as many pics as possible. You can even post them on your build thread. It’s fun to go back later and see how much your tank has evolved and things have grown.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can skip the ugly stages, or at least mitigate them, and I did exactly that with my new large system.

I ran rowaphos from day 1 and heavy and it removes silicates etc from any new sand and also keeps these and phosphate locked down very low from the start.

I also left the skimmer off until nitrates hit around 3 to get some into the system quickly

Thats how I do things anyway....

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diversity as in different species and what not that take up space and waste. I would check out pns probio, dr tims waste away gel, reef brite rock enhance, etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back