Can yellow watchmans live with mandarins

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I begin I would like to say my tank is 9 months with a fuge, dosing pods And tigger feast, and have a captive bred mandarin so it eats pellets and frozen. The question is in a 13.5 nano if I get rid of my 2 clowns could the ywg live with the mandarin?

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in the same tank & they completely ignore each other. My mandarian pair and ruby dragonet (in another tank) are fish other fish seem to completely ignore. Perhaps because of their noxious slime coat? Once your watchman goby bonds with a shrimp, he never leaves his burrow anyway. If another fish approaches, he might put on a show & open his mouth but that’s about it. My ruby dragonet sometimes sleeps in the tangaroa goby’s burrow, and he just acts like he’s not there

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in the same tank & they completely ignore each other. My mandarian pair and ruby dragonet (in another tank) are fish other fish seem to completely ignore. Perhaps because of their noxious slime coat? Once your watchman goby bonds with a shrimp, he never leaves his burrow anyway. If another fish approaches, he might put on a show & open his mouth but that’s about it. My ruby dragonet sometimes sleeps in the tangaroa goby’s burrow, and he just acts like he’s not there
But I don’t plan to get a pistol. Will it be fine still? I heard that mandarins have a poison but will the ywg know that or will it accidentally nip it

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Watchman and Mandarin in my 20g and they get along. At first the Watchman would open his mouth wide and try to act tough when the Mandarin would swim by but now they don't even pay attention to each other. You should be fine.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Watchman and Mandarin in my 20g and they get along. At first the Watchman would open his mouth wide and try to act tough when the Mandarin would swim by but now they don't even pay attention to each other. You should be fine.
How big was your watchman?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clownfish, yellow watchman and a mandarin in my 13.5. My yellow watchman gently nudges the mandarin away when he’s “to close” to the tiger pistol as if he’s warning him that there’s a pistol shrimp.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
13gal is a bit small for a mandarin, even with a fuge, unless the fuge is comparatively massive. They need multiple feedings a day to have any hope of thriving on prepared foods, and should still have a lot of pods to eat.

That said, a watchman goby and a mandarin dragonet will pretty much ignore each other. If something goes in a watchman's burrow, the watchman will just open its mouth and look angry, /maybe/ nip it once. They aren't really able to badly hurt other fish, nor do they try.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13gal is a bit small for a mandarin, even with a fuge, unless the fuge is comparatively massive. They need multiple feedings a day to have any hope of thriving on prepared foods, and should still have a lot of pods to eat.

That said, a watchman goby and a mandarin dragonet will pretty much ignore each other. If something goes in a watchman's burrow, the watchman will just open its mouth and look angry, /maybe/ nip it once. They aren't really able to badly hurt other fish, nor do they try.
Don’t worry, it eats pellets

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even if a mandarin is eating pellets, it still needs multiple meals a day. Their systems are set up to be constantly full of incredibly nutritious food. You won't find anyone who has a mandarin live to a nice age without feeding it very frequently.

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I don’t plan to get a pistol. Will it be fine still? I heard that mandarins have a poison but will the ywg know that or will it accidentally nip it
Of course, not much in life can be guaranteed, but I’ve had two YWGs over the years of my tank and never seen any aggression towards a mandarin. As I said, the mandarin is ignored by others, and he is seemingly blind to anything other than pods. I’ve seen my mandarin brush right by another fish like he’s part of the furniture lol.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my mandarin a combo of frozen mysis and brine once a day. When I got him his lateral line was showing. He’s almost to full sausage now. I feed once a day….heavily… he hunts the rest of the time.

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin pair only eats pods as far as I can see. (I’ve had success cultivating pods with Phytofeast, both in separate culture and by adding directly to tank.) The ruby dragonet in my nano however, also goes crazy over “tobiko” roe that I buy from a Korean supermarket. It’s hilarious seeing her try to swim and grab the roe out of the water column. She even hops higher up on the rock to grab it. She must get some of it as she’s quite plump

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back