Can you bring fish medication from the US to Canada for personal use?

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to go to the states to stock up on some fish medications for personal use only. Has anyone done this? I'm aware of the ban of selling fish meds in Canada but wasn't sure if that applies to people who buy it and bring it back to Canada (not for selling purposes).

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regardless of the amount you get. This may fall under the smuggling category.

I also don't think they'd care what your reasoning is.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Sucks, here in the US, it just says, “Not for Human Consumption.” If you use it on yourself, you are on your own, no liability by the Med Manufacturers. BTW, many years ago I crossed from Canada with a Quarter Pallet of Coke, in my Van. As in coke with sugar, rather than that nasty High Fructose Corn Sweetener.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine what meds are you looking for? Who's going stop you for general cure or copper. I would say I didn't know worse case they throw it away.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are you'll make it through fine, but if you do get caught it's likely to be seized and destroyed. You're asking a larger question than you may realize. Some products are "US-listed" which means they are only for sale within the US. An example would be the Parasite-S brand of formalin. You need a special import document for things like that, from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer isn't going to help you. Then there are other levels of restrictions too, which I can't speak on too much because I don't know Canadian law. I can say that Canadian import regulations on such products have increased noticeably over the past couple of years though. If you ship something there that has a restriction, and you can't provide the proper documentation, it either gets returned or destroyed. Your pick.

Your luggage is your best bet, but you would be smuggling it in and hoping for the best. I wish there was greater attention to detail on such legislation.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am not advocating you do this. But if it were me and I was driving across the border, I would buy a couple small items and put them in your luggage. I would not buy multiples of different meds, just 1 of each. Make it oblivious you aren't trying to resell them.
Back in the day you could drive across the border and stop at a pharmacy and load up on aspirin/codeine ( 222's). Or so I've been told.

Flying would be a different story where the risk of someone looking through your luggage is real. ( Midnight Express comes to mind) jk

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know you can call CBSA with these questions as to what is allowed to bring across the border.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the 80’s 90’s and early this century, a Cousin of mine drove from upper state New York to Canada. Bought much cheaper Pharmaceuticals for his Patients, and brought them back to the States. He was a Licensed Pharmacist. They made it illegal at some time, and he had to stop.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back