Hey from Ottawa, Canada

eKirts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Have been cruising this forum for a few weeks now and decided to make an account - looking to get into the hobby of reef keeping - used to do a lot of diving in my youth when I lived overseas and was always amazed by the corals.

I am definitely in the research stage at the moment... been watching and reading tons over the last month or so. It has been very intriguing... the large mixed reef tanks with large acro populations are certainly something to inspire for! I have quite a bit of horticultural experience; academically/professionally - in various hort. industry jobs for 17 years, so far... I'm hoping my sense of nutrient/substrate management should be an asset.

My plans at the moment aren't overly grand (in my mind, lol). Looking at tanks that are larger than the nanos, as I'd like to have a bit more room for error in terms of parameter swings - not looking to blow my wallet out, but also would like something that is refined, will last for several years and allow for some expansion.

Two options that I've been looking at are the Reefer MAX 170 G2+ or the Waterbox MarineX 60.2. Ideally, my first choice would be the Cade 600S - sadly the feasability of getting this in Canada at this time seems extremely challenging or just too dang expensive. (...a small request if there are any retailers on this site from Canada to carry these!! hahaha)

I am inclined to lean towards a sump based system - maintanence,expandability, and just overall space to work... I know it can be a bit complicated and costly for a beginner, but I feel as though the benefits outweigh the learning curve and upfront expendature. Overall goal is a mixed reef with two clowns and cleanup crew - start with some softies - mostly zoa and potentially a leather... and progress. End goal - really would love some plating monticap with a few acros, euphyllia. I am debating on using gsp or pulsing zenia, but their encroachment seems to be a bit prolific.. after reading, isolating to their own rocks seems to be a good solution but I am still unsure.

Anyway, thats a little bit about me and my initial plans thus far; I am usually a lurker, but felt I would introduce my self...

As a side note: If anyone in my region or area that has systems like the ones I refered to, or something similar, and are looking to part from them - feel free to message me :)

Cheers and see you around the site!

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMB_UEj7O8.gif

OP
OP
eKirts

eKirts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. I'm down near Toronto. Lots of good vendors and hobbyists this way but you may struggle a bit up that way. I know a new store just opened up recently but stay away from the big Al's there.

Thanks! I've noticed that the majority are around TO, kinda makes me wish I still lived there... lol. Only one I've been to so far in this area is marinescape, James was very knowledgeable and was willing to answer my onslaught of questions, which was nice... I was also a recommended to avoid the Als here from others as well, appreciate the tip!

Thanks to all the others for all the welcomes!

edit: typo

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back