Can you have too much pressure on your return line?

Speedy77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I have an interesting tank setup going up in a few weeks and was looking for some advice on my return. With my current setup, I'll only be able to have a 1/2" return line on my 60g cube tank. I'm using a Fluval SP2 with it, which is rated at a max of just below 1000 gph, with a 1" output. If I reduce the output from 1" to 1/2", will I have any significant issues with my return? I'm using some flexible tubing and some barbed fittings, so this is where my main worry lies. I'll also be using clamps on these connections, so I'm not sure worried, but figured I'd ask to see what you guys think. Here's my entire return setup that I have planned:

Fluval SP2 Pump (strainer necessary or is uncovered ok?)
1" Barbed adapter
1" Vinyl tubing (clamped)
1" Barb x spigot adapter
1" Union
1" to 1/2" reducing bushing, slip x thread
1/2" Threaded male pipe adapter
1/2" Pipe
1/2" 45 degree elbow
1/2" pipe
1/2" Cepex ball valve (with unions)
1/2" pipe
1/2" Bulkhead
1/2" Pipe
1/2" 45 degree elbow (to avoid blocking strainer)
1/2" Pipe
1/2" Pipe
1/2" 90 degree elbow
1/2" Bulkhead
1/2" Return nozzle
Into the Display

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for reading!

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, you'll have reduced flow. @mcarroll can figure out the math and tell you how much loss you are going to have. It'll be a lot. It would be better to increase the size of the pipe back to 1" as often as you can; you lose a lot of pressure in the runs of pipe, fittings make a big difference but give your returns as much as you can.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go with a smaller pump. Dexreased pkumbing size usually results in increased pressure which van be annoying as it causes a jet of linear flow at the output. This might be fine in a larger tank but in a small ine itll likely hit some corals and itll ne difficult to manage.

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, you'll have reduced flow. @mcarroll can figure out the math and tell you how much loss you are going to have. It'll be a lot. It would be better to increase the size of the pipe back to 1" as often as you can; you lose a lot of pressure in the runs of pipe, fittings make a big difference but give your returns as much as you can.
If rated at 1" use two (1/2) returns plumbed.
While keep head pressure of 1" rating.
But I'd convert to two (3/4) returns.

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go with a smaller pump. Dexreased pkumbing size usually results in increased pressure which van be annoying as it causes a jet of linear flow at the output. This might be fine in a larger tank but in a small ine itll likely hit some corals and itll ne difficult to manage.
With regards to this...
Could make manifold all (1/2)X3 returns for a 60, just include check valve before manifold..
That way can add ball valves each return..And Better overall control.

If (3/4) I'd only do two returns, both ball valves and check valve below splitting of return!

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using hose from LFS, running behind tank not in water definetly use metal hose clamps...

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in hurry, use the hose and could plumbing and adjust exact design ..And later do the pvc...

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If rated at 1" use two (1/2) returns plumbed.
While keep head pressure of 1" rating.
But I'd convert to two (3/4) returns.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.... The flowrate through two 1/2" pipes isn't the same as the flowrate through a 1" pipe. Fluid dynamics isn't linear like that. the formula for flow rate is: 1/4*pi*(pip diameter)squared*velocity of the fluid, so you get an effect that looks like this: flow rate for 1/2" pipe at a given velocity is 196 GPH and 1" pipe is 785 GPH, so it isn't additive.... Two 3/4 returns would give you about 800 GPH so not much more flow if you keep 3/4" pipe....
With regards to this...
Could make manifold all (1/2)X3 returns for a 60, just include check valve before manifold..
That way can add ball valves each return..And Better overall control.

If (3/4) I'd only do two returns, both ball valves and check valve below splitting of return!

Why put a ball valve on the return to slow it down, just open one up on the manifold that redirects back into the sump....

Change all of this to 1" from 1/2":
1" Union
1/2" Pipe
1/2" 45 degree elbow
1/2" pipe
1/2" pipe
1/2" Bulkhead
1/2" Pipe
1/2" Pipe
1/2" Pipe
1/2" 90 degree elbow

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you but how many times have you designed PVC built it, then rebuilt it ten different ways and scientifically learned more?

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love un-traditional. Yes calculations are great, calculators are great from sites....And my graphing calculator from precalculus in 10th grade helps.

But, going off calculations. Designing and editing until happy with takes learning after calculations

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But everyone's gonna cut, glue and adjust to their system, so if a snob walked up, pulled out his adding machine, but never cut PVC. I'd question talking over a forum

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many other variables if not there helping on hand and foot.

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It like describing use of manifolded piping, use of ball valves and check valve..

Think about resistance and flow.

If it's smaller diameter but has three exits into tank, not the same as just doubling diameter.

If just two returns I'd use (3/4")

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I have an interesting tank setup going up in a few weeks and was looking for some advice on my return. With my current setup, I'll only be able to have a 1/2" return line on my 60g cube tank. I'm using a Fluval SP2 with it, which is rated at a max of just below 1000 gph, with a 1" output. If I reduce the output from 1" to 1/2", will I have any significant issues with my return? I'm using some flexible tubing and some barbed fittings, so this is where my main worry lies. I'll also be using clamps on these connections, so I'm not sure worried, but figured I'd ask to see what you guys think. Here's my entire return setup that I have planned:

Fluval SP2 Pump (strainer necessary or is uncovered ok?)
1" Barbed adapter
1" Vinyl tubing (clamped)
1" Barb x spigot adapter
1" Union
1/2" Pipe
1/2" 45 degree elbow
1/2" pipe
1/2" pipe
1/2" Bulkhead
1/2" Pipe
1/2" Pipe
1/2" Pipe
1/2" 90 degree elbow
1/2" Bulkhead
1/2" Return nozzle
Into the Display

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for reading!
To Einstein: Not Speedy
Back to Beginning: it's a canister no way with head pressure exactly 1000gph, after use at Max would go 900.

Now Speedy,
It's a canister, a pressurized unit... They rate lower as used..As fill with bacteria and slime naturally restricts flow through devices lowering headpressure as internal sponge slowly clogs. I also understand the harder you make the internal pump work, the quicker gonna burn out or have problems. The slower it goes the warmer contact water also gets!

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a pump and a sump would go with Equation.

But Canister, don't have same head pressure because varies over use.
Head pressure from a sump based return pump don't drop over use, once plumbed set. Can adjust with ball valves.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you man, you have to actually create and put together something some time before you can be a critic. And I always take my first attempt apart. LOL Good call on that one.

I am just saying that science is still science and that a specific diameter pipe will only want to push so much water through it. But you are right, put a big pump on the thing and you can increase the velocity of the water, decreasing the pressure in the pipes, so it makes sense what you are doing, it really does. It's just not what I would do, but we all are different for very good reasons. Now I see how you are doing your plumbing and it's smart as hell, never thought of doing that before. May try it on a smaller tank set up to see what happens. Thanks man!
Back to Beginning: it's a canister no way with head pressure exactly 1000gph, after use at Max would go 900.

Now Speedy,
It's a canister, a pressurized unit... They rate lower as used..As fill with bacteria and slime naturally restricts flow through devices lowering headpressure as internal sponge slowly clogs. I also understand the harder you make the internal pump work, the quicker gonna burn out or have problems. The slower it goes the warmer contact water also gets!
I understand what you're saying Mr. Newton, of course it won't stay at 1000, but I was pointing out the numbers an

Now Speedy,
What's a canister? The Fluval SP2? I'm just not following you man.

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the thought on this thread, for the Group.

Seyoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Type: Brand:
Hob hang on back. Aqua Clear.
Canister. Fluval

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back