Can you keep a mandarin goby in a unestablished tank?

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a Mandarin goby but my tank is not established its been up for around a month and a half now so i was just going to add those bottles of Copepods every three weeks until i can get it to eat frozen food, will this work? Also theres captive bred ones that are already weaned on frozen food, can they live on frozen food or do they need copepods?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A pod every five minutes is a decent number of pods. They do actually have to eat constantly- it's how their system works. It's meant to process a huge number of teeny-tiny, nutrient-rich meals at a high speed. Pods supplemented with copious frozen foods can work, depending on the frozen foods, but pure frozen (especially mysis and other meaty foods, as opposed to things like roe) doesn't seem to work out as well.

Upvote 0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pod every five minutes is a decent number of pods. They do actually have to eat constantly- it's how their system works. It's meant to process a huge number of teeny-tiny, nutrient-rich meals at a high speed. Pods supplemented with copious frozen foods can work, depending on the frozen foods, but pure frozen (especially mysis and other meaty foods, as opposed to things like roe) doesn't seem to work out as well.
I wonder what the necessity of this truly is considering I've kept dragonets in quarantine for months on end after receiving them in emaciated shape from other reefers and had success feeding them nutramar ova (same availability as a unicorn or a leprechaun these days) three times a day to fatten them back up. There definitely wasn't a source of pods in my QT system for them to graze on and these fish tended to stay in a corner near the pvc shelter I provided. Experiences may vary I guess.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, that'd do it- fish eggs are incredibly nutritious.

Though part of the problem seems to be something possibly related to some trace element they're missing. Fat, seemingly healthy mandarins that live a few years on frozen, then die of unknown causes far before they ought to die of old age.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does it cost for the 10 bags of pods for you
I cycled my aquriam for about 8 months just to host amphipods population as my overall goal was to maintain a mandarin,the amphipods was eaten very quickly, your aquarium is half the size. The more amphipods the better, if your mind is set on purchasing definitely ask what it eats beforehand so you can maintain a consistent food source, but also invest in live food, I have 10 X bags of live copepods each month delivered. I have artemia culture growing daily. My mandarin and flame scooter love frozen bloodworms I found this out by trying all foods from live to frozen, they love frozen, I still add live copepods and artemia daily though, these guys are fussy eaters.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what the necessity of this truly is considering I've kept dragonets in quarantine for months on end after receiving them in emaciated shape from other reefers and had success feeding them nutramar ova (same availability as a unicorn or a leprechaun these days) three times a day to fatten them back up. There definitely wasn't a source of pods in my QT system for them to graze on and these fish tended to stay in a corner near the pvc shelter I provided. Experiences may vary I guess.
Hi, If i get a captive bred one can i just feed it frozen foods and add 2 bottles of pods every month so it gets the nutrients form the pods it needs, i dont have that many fish in my tank so it wont be out competed for food?

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Though part of the problem seems to be something possibly related to some trace element they're missing. Fat, seemingly healthy mandarins that live a few years on frozen, then die of unknown causes far before they ought to die of old age.

Hi, If i get a captive bred one can i just feed it frozen foods and add 2 bottles of pods every month so it gets the nutrients form the pods it needs, i dont have that many fish in my tank so it wont be out competed for food?
I would very much not recommend this, unless you have a steady supply of fish eggs and are willing to feed multiple times a day, in addition to dosing more pods than that. Absolutely do not add a mandarin to your tank now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would very much not recommend this, unless you have a steady supply of fish eggs and are willing to feed multiple times a day, in addition to dosing more pods than that. Absolutely do not add a mandarin to your tank now.
I’m willing to feed multiple times a day, I already feed multiple times a day because my fish are babies and they need a lot of food

Upvote 0

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do not expect anyone to say yes go ahead. Its a dicey situation for the fish, and if you get the right fish and everything works out then awesome! you'll have a great pet.
But, it seems you are skirting what you think is correct and appropriate so you are reaching out for peer approval; which you may get because someone out there got the right fish and it worked out. It will happen if repeated enough times.
Do what you want; but, after hearing everyone's opinions, either for or against getting the fish, don't go and buy the fish and scratch your head in a few weeks if it dies.
The consensus is wait, but there are a few outlier success stories. You probably have a good chance of it living if you do what you said; just don't be surprised if you try to thread the needle and get the fish early and it dies. And don't blame it on the minority of people here who have had success stories and said to go ahead; the majority are saying wait.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That doesn't answer the source of eggs, or the cost of pods. Check what they cost- you really want to buy a couple bottles a week? And you still shouldn't put a mandarin in an un-established tank, even if you intend to feed it heavily.

Also, what's your plan if you go on vacation? It's hard to find someone who can be trustworthy to feed your tank an appropriate amount of food, let alone multiple times a day.

Do not buy a mandarin any time soon, period. Maybe buy one eventually. Do not buy it now.

Upvote 0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gallon
I would just avoid a mandarin entirely if your tank is that small. Even incredibly seasoned reefers with extremely mature tanks struggle to pull that off without slowly starving the poor fish. The only way a tank that small can support a mandarin is if you can get lucky enough to train one onto pellets and set an autofeeder to feed them 10+ times per day. He will mow through every pod in that size tank in a couple hours, so it doesn't matter how much you add, he will always starve.

Upvote 0

Nemosis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a Mandarin goby but my tank is not established its been up for around a month and a half now so i was just going to add those bottles of Copepods every three weeks until i can get it to eat frozen food, will this work? Also theres captive bred ones that are already weaned on frozen food, can they live on frozen food or do they need copepods?
There’s been a lot of debate in the reefing community on this topic. You’ll even find videos that support both perspectives. However, I find it best practice to replicate at best how an animal survives in the wild. This is why we clip algae to the side of our tanks for tangs, buy protein skimmers, high quality lighting, etc.. So my personal answer, which may vary from others, would be a resounding NO. Most, if not all, online retailers that have this fish for sale would suggest that it be placed in a WELL established aquarium. My green mandarin eats from sun up to sun down every single day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't answer the source of eggs, or the cost of pods. Check what they cost- you really want to buy a couple bottles a week? And you still shouldn't put a mandarin in an un-established tank, even if you intend to feed it heavily.

Also, what's your plan if you go on vacation? It's hard to find someone who can be trustworthy to feed your tank an appropriate amount of food, let alone multiple times a day.

Do not buy a mandarin any time soon, period. Maybe buy one eventually. Do not buy it now.
When then?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeding them nutramar ova I thought they dont sell that anymore?

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get your tank well-established. If you started without any ocean live rock, that's likely to be a minimum of a year.

It is generally not a good idea to put a mandarin dragonet in a nano tank, unless a decent-sized refugium (not a HOB one!) is involved. Some people manage it, but usually those people are experts, are using products that are no longer sold anywhere, or are spending a ton of money on pods. If you're determined, start setting up a nice refugium.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is generally not a good idea to put a mandarin dragonet in a nano tank, unless a decent-sized refugium (not a HOB one!) is involved. Some people manage it, but usually those people are experts, are using products that are no longer sold anywhere, or are spending a ton of money on pods. If you're determined, start setting up a nice refugium.
How do you know when it’s established

Upvote 0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeding them nutramar ova I thought they dont sell that anymore?
After the first shortage, I stockpiled to last me through 2019 the same way people stockpiled reborn for their CalRx’s. When it was readily available, this was my go-to for rehab and training. When it was in short supply, I ONLY used it for initial food training and rehab. Baby brine also works but it requires far more prep work (hatching, gut loading, tank positioning such as using a light as an attractant to keep them in one spot, etc.). Luckily, I’ve only had to take in two other dragonets since the pandemic began.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back