Can you run a successful reef long term without this....

Can you run a a successful reef long term without some type of reactor and media?

• Yes

Votes: 367 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 69 13.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 96 18.0%

• Total voters

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a reactor, and if the day ever comes that I need to run GFO, carbon or some other product, I can. But the last time that happened was 15 years ago and I didn't know what I was doing.

Now I run a refugium with some macro algae, a filter sock I only replace when it is ready to start overflowing (once a week or so) and a properly sized skimmer.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run an oversized protein skimmer and a refugium and it works well, no water changes in 18 months.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I run is carbon and that certainly isn't necessary (keeps the water nice and clear though). I also have a second reactor for GFO/whatever just in case.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment for waste removal, UV, etc is over rated. IMO it is better not to rely on equipment for waste removal. I believe its better to have a self sustaining simple ecosystem and the tank will be more resilant and stable. My 220 simply has a 75 gallon sump/refugium tank filled with a 5 inch DSB, live rock, and reverse lighting. I've been skimmerless for the majority of the last 26 years. I have three 12 year old H. Magnificas and had SPSs for years until they filled my tank front to back and top to bottom. I occasionally ran big skimmers in the past without much change in the system except clearer water. Now, I just have a kalk reactor, Ca reactor, and I am running carbon on a HOB Aquaclear filter simply to polish the water. Its much more important to spend money on the proper circulation, automated Ca and alkalinity supplementation, and lighting system needed for the desired livestock. You can get away without the automated Ca and alkalinity replacements, but it is much harder to keep stable. I find pH probes and controllers/monitors important.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back