Can you take a peek and read this result?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I see my name all over this thread like I just cut my lawn and threw the cuttings in Neptunes tank. :anguished-face:

I didn't do that. Neptune, your tank has been running for 10 years which is a lot longer than most hobbyist tanks last especially if those tanks are constantly tweeked, medicated or quarintined.

You have found the secret to a stable tank. Now for your "problem". Cyano, diatoms and hair algae is not a problem. It occurs in the seas all over the world on all healthy reefs. They are not diseases and can't be cured. It happens to all healthy tanks and if after 10 years your tank doesn't experience these things it is probably not healthy or some chemical or antibiotic may have been used.

My tank now just went through a massive dino phase and now it is covered in algae. Who cares?
The fish are all in excellent health and all the paired fish are spawning, that is probably 8 pairs.

In my 50+ years of SCUBA diving I have seen the sea change every year, sometimes being covered in algae or seaweed.
I took this off a remote Hawaiian Island.

Yes, it's hair algae. Perfectly normal and healthy.

The dying growth on these mangrove roots are also healthy and a place where most of the tropical fish are born

The healthy seas are covered in this growth around this moray eel in the center.

If this stuff grows in the South Pacific where many of our fish come from, whats the problem of it in our tanks?

It comes and goes in cycles as long as we don't do something stupid like add or remove something that should be there.
I am thrilled my tank now has so much algae in it because I know (from experience of this happening from time to time) that after the algae uses what it wants and we remove it, the tank will be as healthy as it can be. It will hopefully be immune from just about everything and last forever.

Brandon, I don't have a forum and don't want one. I post enough and wrote a book so I feel I did my share. Besides I disagree so much with so much advice that I would rather stay out of a lot of discussions especially about disease as you know I don't believe our fish should get sick and I believe if they are getting sick, it's because we made them sick due to our practices.

I know most people will disagree with that and thats fine. It's just me. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back