Can your UV sterilizer be too big?

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldnt get either of those. I personally would get the Lifegard Pro-Max 55watt but if you are stuck on the AquaUV I would pick the 57watt. My reasoning is in my prior post.
I got the same sterilizer. Love it so far but haven’t had it long. What size tank do you use it on?

Could go smaller then the 55 watt if you wanted to. 40 would probably be plenty for the reefer

Edit. Sorry went back up and read your other post. I see you run the 90watt.

Matt

Last edited:

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same sterilizer. Love it so far but haven’t had it long. What size tank do you use it on?

Could go smaller then the 55 watt if you wanted to. 40 would probably be plenty for the reefer

Edit. Sorry went back up and read your other post. I see you run the 90watt.

Matt

Yes I run the 90 but I have a little over 300G. I recommend the 55 in the OP's case because it uses the Amalgam bulb where the smaller 40watt does not. Would the 40 work? absolutely. but I'd stick with the Amalgam buld'ed units as it is a better bulb. I have zero issues with my unit. I really like how everything can be replaced for cheap except the main body and end caps, which wouldnt need to replace unless you dropped it and broke it. The AquaUV doesnt have replaceable liners so at some point the body will get weaker from being exposed to the UV.

Last edited:

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep the same reasons why I chose Lifegard Pro-Max 55watt. Wanted one I could replace parts on and the bulb was a definite plus. Then there cheaper on top of it. I’m sold on them.

OP
OP
K

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ruled out the Lifegard because the 25w is 32" long but I just checked and the 55w is shorter at 27", which might fit. The angled inlet and outlet may pose a challenge in getting everything to fit.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the movable fittings to help with ease of plumbing. Definitely less restrictive then 90’s. But definitely go with what you can fit in place. One thing to consider is plumbing it so it always stays wet. Don’t want the quarts to be dry and the light be on. I always plumb uv so when the pump turns off the light stays full.
best of luck on the decision and keep us posted.
matt

OP
OP
K

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider is plumbing it so it always stays wet. Don’t want the quarts to be dry and the light be on. I always plumb uv so when the pump turns off the light stays full.
best of luck on the decision and keep us posted.
matt

Great advice, thanks!

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ruled out the Lifegard because the 25w is 32" long but I just checked and the 55w is shorter at 27", which might fit. The angled inlet and outlet may pose a challenge in getting everything to fit.

In case you didn't know the fittings rotate allowing endless configurations unlike the competition. They are not fixed inputs/outputs.

OP
OP
K

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you didn't know the fittings rotate allowing endless configurations unlike the competition. They are not fixed inputs/outputs.

I didn’t know. They should include that info on their website. These seem like a no brainer especially given the difference in price.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know. They should include that info on their website. These seem like a no brainer especially given the difference in price.

I agree! I hate to sound like I keep pushing them but I am because I know the other units are way over priced. Not like this is some cheap Chinese unit. Lifegard has been in the game a long time.

Here are two videos I found useful

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of those cheap china units and after a year it shorted out. After taking it apart it was deteriorating the plastic pretty sure was leaching into the water.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for anyone curious as to what happens to the PVC housing over time here is a 360 watt UV I had many moons ago. Notice how you can actually see the UV light through the tubes because they have gotten so thin. You will also see how repairs had to be made because the tubes got so thin they started leaking. This is one of the reason why I like the replaceable sleeves on the Lifegard Pro-Max units. You don’t have to worry about the body breaking down over time.

59E496B1-9D8F-4DDA-8BA9-3F3495F99FF4.jpeg

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this thread made me pull the trigger, I have a Pentair 40 watt on my system now, but it is a way undersized after upgrading to the larger tank... I was thinking about going with a second 40, but I wasn't a fan of Pentair's support when I was having ballast issues 6 months into owning it. (they basically told me just not to use a GFCI outlet) watching the videos Badilac posted, I am a huge fan of how Lifeguard Aquatics seals the quartz sleeve to the cap... It looks like if it leaks it is still unlikely water would make it into the tube. (a big concern on the Pentair units) But what just sealed the deal was I came across this open box gem on Amazon, and couldn't resist.

uv.PNG

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this thread made me pull the trigger, I have a Pentair 40 watt on my system now, but it is a way undersized after upgrading to the larger tank... I was thinking about going with a second 40, but I wasn't a fan of Pentair's support when I was having ballast issues 6 months into owning it. (they basically told me just not to use a GFCI outlet) watching the videos Badilac posted, I am a huge fan of how Lifeguard Aquatics seals the quartz sleeve to the cap... It looks like if it leaks it is still unlikely water would make it into the tube. (a big concern on the Pentair units) But what just sealed the deal was I came across this open box gem on Amazon, and couldn't resist.

uv.PNG
WOW that's an awesome deal! Congrats and let us know how you like it. I'm jealous on the 5" body, I wish I went with the 5".

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just did a little write up on UV's in general for anyone looking for a little more info.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

uv.PNG

What a bargain good job

I had to contact lifeguard when I first received my unit. One of the swivel flanges was warped. The lady was super nice, she had me email them pics of the piece and proof of purchase and within a week I had the replacement part. Can’t complain about that.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I saw it said one left in stock so I searched amazon but I couldn't find an open box unit. Guess that was before you bought yours or if it was after I guess someone else got a crazy good deal! I would have bought it just because it was a steal!

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it said one left in stock so I searched amazon but I couldn't find an open box unit. Guess that was before you bought yours or if it was after I guess someone else got a crazy good deal! I would have bought it just because it was a steal!
Ya, I took the screen shot before placing my order. I just hope it's not missing pieces/ has damaged pieces, the description was "box damaged" I figure if I end up needing to buy a quartz tube, bulb, or a couple gaskets it was still a good deal... I figure worst case if its beyond repair, or its totally trashed, I can always return it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back