Can ZEOvit be implemented if I have a small sump area? Would you recom

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon cube and the sump area limits me to a 7 gallon sump. I want to implement the Zeovit method into my tank but all the reactors I’m seeing have the pump attached to the actual reactor and my sump can’t fit it much less the actual stand as the height clearance is only 24 inches.
Are there ZEOvit reactors that can be set up without being in the sump? If so which would you recommend from experience?

BRS says they prefer this method of triton which is why I’m leaning towards it rather than triton

I don’t mind if the reactor is placed outside of the stand and has tubes around the area. The tank is mainly for my enjoyment.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, you should be getting a more unbiased opinion that what comes from BRS.

ZEO is a good method, but it usually works best for experienced hobbyists who are good at most things and just want to fine tune some acute things to get from a 90 to a 99 on the scale. It can be amazing, but you have to really have a high knowledge of your tank and know what you are doing. I would not start with ZeoVit. You can certainly use it sooner, but I doubt that you will get the most out of it. There is a whole forum with experienced Zeo users that you can browse and read.

If your tank is new, just look to basic Berlin for a while, let it cycle while you learn and hone your craft with just basics like nitrogen cycle, what actually feeds and gives building blocks to corals (it is not what you read about on the internet), how light works, phosphate binding to sand/rock, actually completing the nitrogen cycle by having low-oxygen bacteria turn no3 into nitrogen gas. Learn how to get good at changing some water and supplementing carbonate and calcium either by hand or with some other easy method. After you get good at all of this, then it might be a good time to fine tune, or you might just find out that you have no interest in anything from a bottle at all.

FWIW - I don't use any named method or supplement. Just no need.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS says they prefer this method of triton which is why I’m leaning towards it rather than triton

I agree that I would not pick a method based on BRS comments, but what exactly did they say? I assume that sentence has a typo?

I would not pick zeo as a method for a few reasons...

1. I do not want to use black box additives of unknown composition. I want to know what I am adding so I can decide for myself if it is appropriate.

2. Not a fan of ultra low nutrient methods and the zeovit pastel color coral look.

3. It seems unnecessarily expensive to me.

OP
OP
leonardomanzano

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, you should be getting a more unbiased opinion that what comes from BRS.

ZEO is a good method, but it usually works best for experienced hobbyists who are good at most things and just want to fine tune some acute things to get from a 90 to a 99 on the scale. It can be amazing, but you have to really have a high knowledge of your tank and know what you are doing. I would not start with ZeoVit. You can certainly use it sooner, but I doubt that you will get the most out of it. There is a whole forum with experienced Zeo users that you can browse and read.

If your tank is new, just look to basic Berlin for a while, let it cycle while you learn and hone your craft with just basics like nitrogen cycle, what actually feeds and gives building blocks to corals (it is not what you read about on the internet), how light works, phosphate binding to sand/rock, actually completing the nitrogen cycle by having low-oxygen bacteria turn no3 into nitrogen gas. Learn how to get good at changing some water and supplementing carbonate and calcium either by hand or with some other easy method. After you get good at all of this, then it might be a good time to fine tune, or you might just find out that you have no interest in anything from a bottle at all.

FWIW - I don't use any named method or supplement. Just no need.
How do I know if I’m an experienced reef keeper?
My tank has been running for about a year and a half.
My nutrients so far have remained very stable No swings that I know of. My nitrates and phosphates are under 1ppm.
(My bioload consists of 3 fish)
I’m working on lowering my phosphates as I like to feed my corals a lot.

I will also start dosing nitrates as i think I’m starting to see dinos growing I’m not too sure.

I was fortunate enough to live in an area where my LFS rents out PAR meters so I was able to map out the PAR levels in my tank.

OP
OP
leonardomanzano

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that I would not pick a method based on BRS comments, but what exactly did they say? I assume that sentence has a typo?

I would not pick zeo as a method for a few reasons...

1. I do not want to use black box additives of unknown composition. I want to know what I am adding so I can decide for myself if it is appropriate.

2. Not a fan of ultra low nutrient methods and the zeovit pastel color coral look.

3. It seems unnecessarily expensive to me.
Have you seen the pastel colors in person? I’ve never considered if the pastel coloring would look bad in person or not. Hopefully someone in my area is using this method so I can see what the coloring might look like in my tank.

At this rate I might just get the 4 bottle combo that has the trace elements and amino acids since I don’t really dose my trace elements as much as I do the big three nutrients.

I’ll get back to you on the BRS comment, I forgot which video it was but it was in one of the videos where they were changing something in the tank setup that the ZEOvit would interfere with and that’s when they dropped that comment

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the pastel colors in person? I’ve never considered if the pastel coloring would look bad in person or not. Hopefully someone in my area is using this method so I can see what the coloring might look like in my tank.

At this rate I might just get the 4 bottle combo that has the trace elements and amino acids since I don’t really dose my trace elements as much as I do the big three nutrients.

I’ll get back to you on the BRS comment, I forgot which video it was but it was in one of the videos where they were changing something in the tank setup that the ZEOvit would interfere with and that’s when they dropped that comment
No, but I've seen many pictures ever since zeovit first came out.

Back