Canadian wild fires affecting tank?

keanenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in NJ, near NYC, and the air quality is terrible from the fires in Canada. I noticed my monti is faded and unhappy all of a sudden. Could it be from the air quality? The other corals seem OK.

Last edited:

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I’m in NY as well. I closed all my doors and windows. Likely could be lowering pH so assuming everything else is normal I don’t think it’s irrational to think the terrible air quality is messing with our reefs

Stay safe out there guys!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1686167794361.png

OP
OP
keanenk

keanenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I’m in NY as well. I closed all my doors and windows. Likely could be lowering pH so assuming everything else is normal I don’t think it’s irrational to think the terrible air quality is messing with our reefs

Stay safe out there guys!

PH is staying right where it always is this time (around 8.3-8.4), but will definitely keep an eye on it.

I have never seen anything like this in all my days. It is so weird to smell burnt trees from Canada in NJ.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolute first step in any bleaching event is to lower your light power level a good bit and sustain it until you figure out the cause, then re ramp it slowly

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to both my digi’s
I’m guessing from the same thing. Going to run gac aggressively overnight.

OP
OP
keanenk

keanenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to both my digi’s
I’m guessing from the same thing. Going to run gac aggressively overnight.
Interesting. And it is just my forrest fire digi too which is ironic. My encrusting montis are all good.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Sayreville, NJ, and I thought yesterday was bad....until this afternoon. It's very bad this afternoon. I have no health issues and I feel like I'm asthmatic. Windows are closed and not going out. pH is fine...8.27, so doesn't appear to lower that. Stay safe. They're saying it will start to clear on Friday.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am in NJ, near NYC, and the air quality is terrible from the fires in Canada. I noticed my monti is faded and unhappy all of a sudden. Could it be from the air quality? The other corals seem OK.
Its beyond dangerous by you but it relates to atmospheric air and as long as windows are closed- you minimize any risks to pets including tank.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos remind me of those bad fires a few years back here in Cali. Could hardly breathe, skies red as blood. Was like the freaking apocalypse. I work a few miles from McClellan, which houses a TON of Cal Fires aircraft fleet. Planes were taking off and landing every five minutes. MASSIVE modified jets hauling fire retardant.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is far more common for there to be fine particles in the ocean than in air, and my guess is that it’s not an issue for tank creatures adapted to dealing with particles as opposed to people whose lungs are not so adapted.

I should send Canada a bill for lost power to my roof top solar panels, assuming I survive at all. Lol

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is far more common for there to be fine particles in the ocean than in air, and my guess is that it’s not an issue for tank creatures adapted to dealing with particles as opposed to people whose lungs are not so adapted.

I should send Canada a bill for lost power to my roof top solar panels, assuming I survive at all. Lol
Here PM me and I'll give you Trudeau's phone number!

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys you are facing such a terrible problem, but is it clear what the main problem is - just fine particles or there are other air pollutants present? There is so little information available internationally (I'm going to delete CNN app from my phone it become totally useless this days)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is starting to feel it. My stepson and daughter has been staying with us for the month of June. Between that and the fires my pH is having a rough time. CO2 in my house has gone up because we're keeping all the doors closed in the AC running that and the fact now there's twice as many people in the house. I've been trying to open up the doors when I can but my wife is very sensitive when it comes to breathing air. She's had long covid and every time the air quality goes down her coughing and sensitivity goes up and my tank suffers for it. Couple days ago the PH dipped down to 7.65. Struggles to get even up to pH of 8.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back